How much should i pay

MNbogboy

I've got a line on a 30 year old m700 bdl that I plan on using as a build donor. It belongs to a childhood acquaintance of mine and I assume t is in good shape. I already own a 1988 version of the same and it is my very favorite rifle. I don't want to insult the guy with a lowball offer. Gun broker gives that older model about a $900 average price tag.
I wouldn't sell mine for that but believe 1/2 of that is a closer real world figure.
My question is how much should i pay?

Based on what you said, I would make sure both you and the acquaintance are comfortable.

Buying/selling with friends and family needs to be a price each side can live with. If one side has different expectations, walk away and save the relationship. I personally steer away from friends/family sales because someone always asks, what did you do with that? And maybe or maybe not want to buy it back.

Yep...better to look it all over...
Stock in good shape..$50
Barrel that old...if still in good shape..$50
Bolt assembly in good shape..$50
Receiver..well that's the catch...if ya have to go thru a ffl..gonna cost ya extra....but buddy to buddy..
$150-200......
Complete donor rifle...maybe $400..
I bought an old 3006 couple years back at a pawn shop...entire rifle..$400.....with paper trail...
I don't like paper trails...so I buy whatever I like non-papered...

A "donor" rifle is NOT the same as a rifle you could take to the field and use, as is. To be priced as a "donor" the rifle would have to be a 'beater'. Almost any firearm bought "a couple years back" can not be bought for that same amount of money today. You'd have to find someone who is desperate for the cash, that can't take it to a pawn shop/dealer, to buy a Rem 700BDL in good shape for $450.

My friend does not seem desperate to sell, but if the quality is similar to mine which is approximately the same age I certainly believe it is worth close to $500. I would not sell mine for that. Mine has a premium refinished walnut stock with great figure. The old walker trigger is sweet as adjustable as many aftermarket available. Mine also is pillars & bedded. And shoots as well as I do. I haven't seen my friends yet but am hoping it is similar to mine in condition and quality.

An action w/bolt stop and spring, and a X-mark trigger, along with a bolt with firing pin assembly is selling for $475+ currently. A Rem 700BDL in good condition for $500 would be a steal... I'd not have the nerve to offer $500 for one in good condition. There'll have to be new production and a major adjustment in the economy before a Rem 700BDL in good condition will be selling for $500. It was possible to do so "a few years back", but times and the economy have made drastic changes since that time. Look what's happened to the price of used cars "in good condition". grabagun.com has SPS models for about $700.

I don't typically pay morefor a donor rifle than I would for an action alone. That's basically what you're buying it for. Toss the stock and barrel, keep the action. $500-ish is about what I'll pay for a donor. If it's got a decent stock on it that I can flip, I may pay a bit more.

A donor rifle is just that a "Donor" to build a new rifle. Basically looking for the "Action" - you are not using the barrel or stock. Also you have to consider the condition of the Action and what you are going to build. You may be spending $$s on getting the Action "Trued" for the new build. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than a couple of hundred. Best thing is not to insult you friend - if the rifle still shoots well why use it for a donor and also don't spend $700 for a rifle where you are only using the action. You can spend a few more hundred and get an action that is new from a manufacture that is a set to begin your build with.

I think some of you should take a look at the classifieds on this very forum to see what 700s in G condition are listed for and selling for these days.
Yep - Prices on used rifles have doubled in the last ten years. If the rifle is in "Good" condition, why turn it into a "Donor" for the Action? I would not buy a "Good Condition Rifle" just to take apart for the action (unless it was a Defiance, Impaction Action already on it and buying for $6-700). If I got a used 700 action I would take it apart, make sure the firing pin, spring, ejector was very good or then replace and also True up the lugs and bolt face. Unless you are doing the work on the Action yourself (not paying a gunsmith) and getting the Action for a really good price, it would be better getting a Kelby, Curtis, Defiance, ect to use as a foundation for your build.

The only things that may be gained by buying a rifle to use as a donor (and I'd hope it was a 'beater') would be the magazine box, spring & follower, bottom metal and screws. None of those are priced as the were "just a couple years back". Buying a 700 as a donor isn't as low cost (compared to buying a custom action) as it was "a few years back".

Last edited:
Pay the guy what he is asking for it, and if he is crazy low (obviously not aware of the value) offer to pay him more and tell him why. If you can buy a new action only....I think that is the way to go unless the gun is completely beat and destroyed for any value or safe use.

I bought an old 7mm mag Rem. several years ago for $475 as a donor. basket weave checkering BDL. Started looking at it and it was obvious they had sold it because they could not get it to shoot straight. Free floated the barrel pillar bedded it and took it to the range. Shot great.Sold it last year f $750. This year I would ask more .