How long should it take??

I took a Win. 70 into a gunsmith this last July 7th ( 2021 ) . Wanting a front sight & rear sight installed. I supplied the sights. NECG banded front & screw on ( one hole ) rear sight. As yet , still not done . Is this reality or ridicules ?https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=4685
A while back I sent a rfle to Winchester (Browning in reality) and got it back in two months! I would ask for my rifle back today!

I bought the sights from NECG & supplied them to this shop. . I have inquired three times now, & have been told each time , it's on the smith's work bench. I believe I have been passed over for more lucrative jobs. When I took it in originally, I was told, at least a month. For sure will not use this establishment again , & for sure go out of my way to not recommenced it to another in need of work. It seems to me , basic courtesy would be to contact me every month or so & give a realistic up date.
With that answer.....when I was told the second time I would have told them to give me my sights and gun back. If they didn't immediately move to get them I would add.....now not tomorrow or next week I will take them back now.

Will be calling them in the morning. Let them know, next week weather permitting I will be coming in to get my rifle. .Will let them know, if it's ready ,great. If not it's coming home with me. Located other smiths that are will to actually do the job. Should be a happy conclusion . Can not give a pleasing feed back to their on line site.To bad. Should have been a simple job. Thanks all for the support.

Will be calling them in the morning. Let them know, next week weather permitting I will be coming in to get my rifle. .Will let them know, if it's ready ,great. If not it's coming home with me. Located other smiths that are will to actually do the job. Should be a happy conclusion . Can not give a pleasing feed back to their on line site.To bad. Should have been a simple job. Thanks all for the support.
Good luck buddy!

If you go to "GOOGLE REVIEWS" there's a place where you can leave feedback on a company. Also another company called YELP that I will check before I buy from a company.

Keep us posted on how this turns out for you.

It will be next week before I can pick the barreled action up. Depends on the weather. We have been getting storm after storm here. It's wearing me out keeping the snow plowed so we can get out onto the county road. Out drive way is 3/4 of a mile long. It's about a 60 mile trip for me to get to Missoula & the smiths shop. So, just have to wait & see. Do have a good supply of fire wood, & staying warm. Plowded the drive way this morning, 16 deg. We watch the deer, elk & turkeys walking around in this deep snow every day , & are amazed how well get by. They all look healthy & well filled out. Our seasons deer & elk are in the freezer. A fall turkey I got a few days back, what's left of it, is in the fridge. Will let you all know when I pick the rifle up.

I hear horror stories repeatedly about smiths and down time and repeated excuses. I say hear, because I've had nothing but good turn around time and expert craftsmanship from my smith. Example: I brought him my Remington 700 and a Rock Creek barrel I'd purchased to install. It involved installing the barrel which required widening and bedding the stock and truing the action. 3 1/2 weeks and I got the phone call that it was ready. This has been typical for the work he's done for me. There's a reason he's our best kept secret in the Northwest.

I hear horror stories repeatedly about smiths and down time and repeated excuses. I say hear, because I've had nothing but good turn around time and expert craftsmanship from my smith. Example: I brought him my Remington 700 and a Rock Creek barrel I'd purchased to install. It involved installing the barrel which required widening and bedding the stock and truing the action. 3 1/2 weeks and I got the phone call that it was ready. This has been typical for the work he's done for me. There's a reason he's our best kept secret in the Northwest.
You should send me his contact info. If I need work done , perhaps I could ship to him.

Please don't use YELP to post reviews. They are a load of BS. A friend owns a restaurant. He says YELP chooses what reviews to list. They want him to pay them, then they will show all reviews. He has told them he does NOT want their service. Since he won't pay, they list mostly bad reviews.

Please don't use YELP to post reviews. They are a load of BS. A friend owns a restaurant. He says YELP chooses what reviews to list. They want him to pay them, then they will show all reviews. He has told them he does NOT want their service. Since he won't pay, they list mostly bad reviews.
That's pretty much the way the review services work on the web!

Anytime I drop something off at a gunsmith, I have come to expect them to have it for 6 months regardless of how simple the job is. If the gunsmith has a really good reputation, you could wait longer. I have known some custom rifle builders that were 2 years out on their work. That being said, I have taken up some gunsmithing for myself to avoid ever having to go back to a gunsmith. My work isn't nearly as pretty but its worth not having to deal with a gunsmith. I have even built several rem 700's using remage barrels and surprisingly the did not blow up in my face.

Last week I called these folks & said I would be in this week to pick my rifle up. Done or not. The weather cleared & I made an unannounced visit today. . Would you believe it, the job was completed. WaHoo, got my rifle back!!!!

Last edited:

Recent Posts