How Much $s did you pay or would you pay for a Custom Chambering in your rifle???

Interesting that he switched it to the TBAS to chamber after cutting/threading the tenon between centers.
Why not just start that way? Skim cut the breech cylinder between centers, then chuck it up and go from there.
I'm not getting the "why" for that, but I'm sure he has a reason I'm not considering.
I'm not a machinist. Did you see the video? Maybe that makes sense somehow. Looked like 2 setups for no reason to me…

I'm not a machinist. Did you see the video? Maybe that makes sense somehow. Looked like 2 setups for no reason to me…
Lots of things get done on youtube gunsmithing videos that make no sense and defy logic. Before I enrolled in the 2yr gunsmithing program at Montgomery Community College I had 16yrs of 'job shop' machining experience. Lots of chambering operations I've seen on youtube don't follow methods a 'machinist by trade' would use.

Last edited:
As I recall, that page in Brownells catalog was a survey of what gunsmiths were/are charging for their work. Posted that in response of the Blue Book comment made in a previous post. Blue Book is an average of used car/truck prices, that page in the Brownells catalog is just that, an average of labor rates for variety of tasks. Myself, I do a lot of work others can't do or don't want to do and charge accordingly and only take in work I'm interested in to begin with. I haven't advertised in many years. Always seem to have more than what I feel I can do in a timely manner, but the majority are willing to wait. I try not to male 'um wait too long! Maybe the Shadow Tracker should have looked at the Brownells catalog as it shows about the same min. and max. for what has been posted so far, in this thread. Many don't charge enough for their work, as it's more or less a hobby , and there are others who are way too 'proud' of their work. Ya' gotta' find your place in the market to survive and prosper.
I'm well aware of what a "Blue Book" is.

My point is that rates are going to vary across the country, sometimes quite a bit for a myriad of reasons.

The Market however determines if one is charging too much or less that what their services are worth.

I have purchased 5 savage prefits in the past year. 2 from x-caliber directly which I ordered in November and December and still waiting on. Carbon wrapped and threaded muzzle was $581.00 total with shipping using their 20% off black friday deal. $432 for stainless and no muzzle threads. I ordered 3 from Crown Ridge barrel works, all x-caliber blanks and price varied from 349.00 for stainless, not threaded to $459 for stainless threaded and fluted.