would you buy this gun?

jlvandersnick

Would you buy this gun. Looking for something for ELR
New custom 28 Nos build, proof CF barrel, new JGS reamer with long throat built in. About 40 rds thru it
There is a visible ring where the throat transitions into the lands. It appears to be a tooling ring. You can see from the pictures that the ring snakes forward and backward a little bit . On a couple of the rifling grooves you can also see the throat cut is not even on both sides of the rifling grooves. and the ring is not always perpendicular

What would cause this?

The rifle also has wind-age adjustment issues. After getting on target there are about have 43 moa adjustment to the left and only 7 to the right.
Could the wind-age issues be related to the chamber issues??

IMG110101-015508F.JPG
IMG110101-015534F.JPG
IMG110101-015542F.JPG
IMG110101-015607F.JPG
IMG110101-015617F.JPG
IMG110101-015625F.JPG

Last edited:
I would guess that the barrel being slightly crooked in the lathe would probably cause all the problems. Maybe a crooked shoulder and possibly even the threads too. There's a lot to be said for spending the extra minute dialing in a lathe.

If it was a traditional barrel with a profile that had material to support having the end cut off and redone I would go for it but I don't think there's a lot to play with on a carbon fiber barrel.

You could probably get the windage corrected by dialing in to a rod through the bore and push the shoulder back enough to line the pull in the up direction if you could live with that.

Personally I couldn't bring myself to buy a gun with a poorly installed high dollar barrel unless it was really cheap and a proof cf barreled 28 nosler is on my short list.

Last edited:
What is action,is the scope off center,or made that way.Seems like there would be lots of questions first,stock etc,value verses price.And seems as if problems.Lot of good rifles on this site for sale

I would guess that the barrel being slightly crooked in the lathe would probably cause all the problems. Maybe a crooked shoulder and possibly even the threads too. There's a lot to be said for spending the extra minute dialing in a lathe.

If it was a traditional barrel with a profile that had material to support having the end cut off and redone I would go for it but I don't think there's a lot to play with on a carbon fiber barrel.

You could probably get the windage corrected by dialing in to a rod through the bore and push the shoulder back enough to line the pull in the up direction if you could live with that.

Personally I couldn't bring myself to buy a gun with a poorly installed high dollar barrel unless it was really cheap and a proof cf barreled 28 nosler is on my short list.
If you pulled the barrel off could you determine exactly where the problem is?

Yes, It might take quite a bit of checking but you could dial it in on a lathe and get a good idea if you have one big problem or a pile of little problems. After you know what's causing everything you could figure out if you can fix it or not.

What's the action?

I can't really tell what I'm looking at from those pictures but the windage issue sounds bad.

If it's a barrel problem at the breach end, there isn't enough barrel shank to fix it.

If the barrel is screwed up, how much can you trust the "truing" of the receiver?

It sounds like the current owner got screwed and you don't need to try to pick up the pieces.

I don't see a chambering issue affecting "windage".
"Accuracy", absolutely...
But if the rifle puts the boolits in a tight group- that's not an accuracy, or chambering issue IMO.

Could be the scope is mounted off-axis of the bore. If so, you end up with a perpetual problem where the "zero" is different at any range where line of sight, and bore axis intersect.

Could be a bad barrel- bore is angled off the centerline at the muzzle.

Could also be a defective scope, right?

Rule out the easiest stuff first. Swap the optic, or test it on another rifle of known accuracy.
If it's not the optic, I'd punt. New build, who- and why- are they selling it?
In any case- the rifle should go back to Proof to get checked out.

The recent phenom of cheap borescopes creates too much hyperventilation. I've seen barrels that looked like total shiznit that shot lights out. Forget the borescope, and focus on where the rifle puts the bullets on the target.

I agree with harpec, if he's unwilling to have it fixed I wouldn't bother with more than a really lowball offer that includes throwing away the barrel

I don't see a chambering issue affecting "windage".
"Accuracy", absolutely...
But if the rifle puts the boolits in a tight group- that's not an accuracy, or chambering issue IMO.

Could be the scope is mounted off-axis of the bore. If so, you end up with a perpetual problem where the "zero" is different at any range where line of sight, and bore axis intersect.

Could be a bad barrel- bore is angled off the centerline at the muzzle.

Could also be a defective scope, right?

If it's not the optic, I'd punt. New build, who- and why- are they selling it?
In any case- the rifle should go back to Proof to get checked out.

The recent phenom of cheap borescopes creates too much hyperventilation. I've seen barrels that looked like total shiznit that shot lights out. Forget the borescope, and focus on where the rifle puts the bullets on the target.
The scope was swapped out. Second scope ended up the way

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.