Tell me what you would do with this Mauser!

Ckgworks

I have a Mauser 3000L in 30-06, the only left handed model Mauser made to my knowledge. It's a commercial Mauser action, in nice shape with a featherweight barrel, all original, and will hold MOA with lighter bullets (150 gr.) but opens up with heavys. It's a neat rifle thats kinda unique, so I hang on to it but never use it.....It bugs me to have a gun I don't use! Every year or two, I pull it out and think "I should do something with this". At one time I almost turned it into a 6.5x55, but put it back in the safe at the last minute..... So opinions please! If it was yours what would you do with this?
1) Re barrel to something I would shoot more? End up with a nice rifle with some history (Probably build a midweight hunting rifle, or??) and if so, what caliber would you choose per the bolt face
2) Sell it and build/buy what you want? Anyone want stab at what it's worth?
3) Look at it every once in awhile, and pass it on to your children?
Thanks! Sometimes others can keep you from doing something stupid, or give you a really good idea you have not thought of!

If there's any collector value or panache ... I'd move it on, especially where she is now a 'safe queen'.

But I would think that rifle re-barreled to a classic Euro cartridge like the 7x57 or 6.5x55 would be ideal, but ONLY if that would make you use it more!

My father has two 98 mausers, one he had the original military stepped barrel that was originally chambered in 8x57, and had it re chambered to 8mm-06, his reasoning was he wanted to "take a German caliber and shove an american cartridge up it's ***" ha ha, not sure if that is historically correct or not, but that is what he did. Shoots very well, sub MOA with 180 grain ballistic tips going 2950 fps, I think the barrel is 23-1/2"?? It's a good timber rifle for whacking elk, pretty much always a bang-flop reaction.

The other is his long range rifle, and it was also an 8x57, but was a Mexican Mauser. He had it rebarreled to 6.5x55 Swed, and it makes bug holes. It is only a 24" barrel, and the loads we are shooting aren't topped out, but it's shooting Berger 140 Hybrid target pills at 2855 fps, and is consistently under half moa, with most 5 shot groups in the .2's to .3's, and carries the half MOA out very far.

Both have Timney triggers on them, a must in my mind, the military trigger is not friendly....and both are pillar bedded. They are unique rifles, and fun to shoot. I personally would chamber it to something you will use more, just keep in mind if you want reliable feeding you will want to stay with something of similar profile to the original chambering, or be ok with modifying the feed rails.

If there's any collector value or panache ... I'd move it on, especially where she is now a 'safe queen'.

This is my dilemma! Some tell me this is a collector piece, one smith said he wouldn't touch it! On the other hand, no one has ever offered collector value for it! ..... It kinda reminds me of the old saying "something's only worth what you can get paid for it" and so far it appears I may as well build myself a slick hunting set up, its actually a very smooth action, with a decent trigger.
Thanks for the responses so far, I'd love to hear more!

This is my dilemma! Some tell me this is a collector piece, one smith said he wouldn't touch it! On the other hand, no one has ever offered collector value for it! ..... It kinda reminds me of the old saying "something's only worth what you can get paid for it" and so far it appears I may as well build myself a slick hunting set up, its actually a very smooth action, with a decent trigger.
Thanks for the responses so far, I'd love to hear more!

9.3x62 or 35 Whelen, but I've always wanted medium. The 9.3 would fit nicely with the rifle's German heritage.
Now there's one I had not thought of! My head has been stuck on some kind 6.5 caliber. It's another on the classic list that would go great with the heritage like you said........ I'm not sure if I'd use it more but I might start trying to convince myself!

My father also has a 1913 eddystone enfield with a douglas barrel chambered in 35 Whelen Ackley Improved, and it is quite a nice rifle. I got a roughed stock and inletted and finished it for him and it is now awaiting a moose tag, he should draw within a year or two.
20151222_193451.jpg
20151222_193652.jpg

I have a Mauser 3000L in 30-06, the only left handed model Mauser made to my knowledge. It's a commercial Mauser action, in nice shape with a featherweight barrel, all original, and will hold MOA with lighter bullets (150 gr.) but opens up with heavys. It's a neat rifle thats kinda unique, so I hang on to it but never use it.....It bugs me to have a gun I don't use! Every year or two, I pull it out and think "I should do something with this". At one time I almost turned it into a 6.5x55, but put it back in the safe at the last minute..... So opinions please! If it was yours what would you do with this?
1) Re barrel to something I would shoot more? End up with a nice rifle with some history (Probably build a midweight hunting rifle, or??) and if so, what caliber would you choose per the bolt face
2) Sell it and build/buy what you want? Anyone want stab at what it's worth?
3) Look at it every once in awhile, and pass it on to your children?
Thanks! Sometimes others can keep you from doing something stupid, or give you a really good idea you have not thought of!

The Mauser 3000L was made by Heym for Mauser. They are nice rifles and will bring somewhere between $600 -$800+ depending on the mood of the buyers and on the market. The Model 3000L is a push-feed tubular steel action (ala Rem 700) with a welded-on recoil lug, rather than a forged steel action with an integral recoil lug of the 96 - 98 Mausers.

The 2000, 3000 and 4000 models were made to change the market perception of Mauser actions/rifles and to save manufacturing costs. This doesn't make them collectible and since very few entered the U.S. market, parts are a little hard to find. Personally, I would sell it and get what you want.

Regards.

Thanks Sable and others! The info Sable provided is about what I have found with a little bit added.....other than I've never had anyone offer me close to that price range..... We will see what happens this year, but for now its resting in the safe!

I had one in a 257 WBY mag (rebarreled 300 mag)...I saw it for sale not long ago--in Colorado...it's a nice action but not great--I like a 30-06 so I'd use it as is--lefty's don't grow on trees so if you like the action use it--use a 30-06 a little bit and I think you will see some magic

...other than I've never had anyone offer me close to that price range....

That's because we're all trying to get it away from you at a bargain price!;):D

The reality is that it's not a big deal as far as collectability is concerned and the drawback is the lack of parts availability. But if it still intrigues you then build off of it and enjoy the process!

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.