What would you do with NIB .22-250 Rem.

huntinghuasna

I have a NIB Remington 700 ADL in .22-250 Rem. made in the early 90's. Looking for some ideas on what to do with this rifle. I'd like to end up with a modern long range hunting rifle capable of killing steel out to 1 mile and deer & elk to 500 - 800 yards. I'm intrigued the by the 6.5 PRC, 28 Nosler and .300 PRC

Some say:
- Shoot it (I'm not interested in this caliber)
- Sell it and buy something else (What's it worth?)
- Build it (What are my cartridge options?)
- Sell it and buy something else to build
- Pass it down (I have lots of other stuff to pass down)

Just looking for some thoughts, thanks.

500-800 yard elk killer my opinion is sell it and get a bigger rifle. Of your interested options knowing elk is on the menu I'd vote get a 28 nosler or 300 PRC. Not to say a 6.5 prc wouldn't work on elk I just tend to lean towards the bigger cartridges based on personal experience. Elk are not bullet proof but I've seen them soak up multiple hits from a .308 win at 300 yards and take hits from a 270 at less than 200 yards like a champ. But If you can't handle higher end recoil or simply want a more affordable option for more shooting I'd go 6.5 prc.

500-800 yard elk killer my opinion is sell it and get a bigger rifle. Of your interested options knowing elk is on the menu I'd vote get a 28 nosler or 300 PRC. Not to say a 6.5 prc wouldn't work on elk I just tend to lean towards the bigger cartridges based on personal experience. Elk are not bullet proof but I've seen them soak up multiple hits from a .308 win at 300 yards and take hits from a 270 at less than 200 yards like a champ. But If you can't handle higher end recoil or simply want a more affordable option for more shooting I'd go 6.5 prc.

I think a lot of people expect elk to drop and have their legs come out from under them when they are shot like Mule Deer. It just doesnt happen very often, unless you hit them with a high shoulder shot. I get the whole shoot until they are down, but most of the time they just wobble around for a while and then kill over. While they are staggering around, guys will put a few rounds in them. If the first shot was a good hit those extra rounds are unnecessary. They have died the same way shot with 215's in my 300 rum and 115's in my 25-06. Stagger around for a few seconds and fall over. After several kills I have settled on a 6.5 PRC for my main elk gun. I am not recoil shy either - still youngish (mid 30's) 6'5 240.

Last edited:
Remember you asked ;-)
I have a NIB Remington 700 ADL in .22-250 Rem. made in the early 90's. Looking for some ideas on what to do with this rifle. I'd like to end up with a modern long range hunting rifle capable of killing steel out to 1 mile and deer & elk to 500 - 800 yards. I'm intrigued the by the 6.5 PRC, 28 Nosler and .300 PRC

Some say:
- Shoot it (I'm not interested in this caliber) rebarrel it with an 8 twist=great steel banger to 750 yards
- Sell it and buy something else (What's it worth?) Whatever you can get. $250 is all id pay
- Build it (What are my cartridge options?) 6.5 creedemore is your only choice... that or a 6.5PRC Sounds like you need along action and this aint it!
- Sell it and buy something else to build. Might be better off trading?
- Pass it down (I have lots of other stuff to pass down) why pass down something you wouldnt use?

I think a lot of people expect elk to drop and have their legs come out from under them when they are shot like Mule Deer. It just doesnt happen very often, unless you hit them with a high shoulder shot. I get the whole shoot until they are down, but most of the time they just wobble around for a while and then kill over. While they are staggering around, guys will put a few rounds in them. If the first shot was a good hit those extra rounds are unnecessary. They have died the same way shot with 215's in my 300 rum and 115's in my 25-06. Stagger around for a few seconds and fall over. After several kills I have settled on a 6.5 PRC for my main elk gun. I am not recoil shy either - still youngish (mid 30's) 6'5 240.

Yup I hear ya. I know those 6.5s work on elk and I'm just saying I like the bigger rounds on elk. Dead is dead I guess I'm just partial to my .300 win mags. I've only ever had one elk drop instantly. The bull in my avatar took a 180 accubond to the throat and never twitched. All the other elk I hit with my .300win mag went at least a few steps. Most wobbled no more than a few yards. One made it 100 yards on a dead run and one rolled about 75 yards down a hill but the others all tipped over after 10-20 yards. I just like the extra energy when I'm thinking about hitting one at 500 yards is all. And I actually enjoy shooting my .300 win mags.

Thanks for insight! This rifle is hitting the chopping block soon. I already own a couple of 6.5 Creedmoors which I shoot regularly so not interested in turning this into a 6.5 CM.

Few more questions about actions:

I have several older rifles I've collected over the years. Can anyone point me to a chart that shows what my cartridge options are for a given action?

Or, what donor action is required for:
6.5 PRC?
28 Nosler?
300 PRC?

Some say:
- Shoot it (I'm not interested in this caliber)
- Sell it and buy something else (What's it worth?)
- Build it (What are my cartridge options?)
- Sell it and buy something else to build
- Pass it down (I have lots of other stuff to pass down)

Sell it buy a .300 win mag

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts