How to know it is Spring in Cody, Wyoming

Airedale56

Every game and fish truck is towing a grizzly trap somewhere…..🙄
IMG_8961.jpeg

That looks interesting,I was just telling my family yesterday that maybe we need to move n I think Cody Wyoming would be the place to go but it's been a long time since I was there…
In 1992, I decided Cody would be my retirement hometown.
I finished one career and did another in the East half of the State before getting here 27 years later.
A celebrity jacked stuff up the day before I got here, cash in hand to buy my retirement home. He bought some property south of town and declared Wyoming to be the most beautiful place there is.
Prices jumped sky high and every house had gone under contract. Lived in a rental (lucky to find it) for about 5 months before I bought.
Then Covid hit. Others bailed out of where they were and sought refuge here. The frenzy was palpable.
Population exceeds 10,000 in the city now. I wish it was still 5,000.
I just got here late.
Prices are still climbing and so are taxes. My mortgage has climbed $4,200 a year/$350 a month for taxes and insurance since signing in 2020.
Local discussion seems to center around "Cody is going to be the next Jackson". (As in "Only Rich people can afford it." Last I read the average house in Jackson is $5 MILLION DOLLARS(!).)

If it's been a long time since you've been here, it might be unrecognizable when you arrive, depending on when that is.
With interest rates like they are, you'll need a lot of cash equity in hand or really deep pockets to buy a home here.
That's reality.

And it's 100 miles to shopping in Billings, 3.5 hours to Casper or Bozeman for better shopping.
It is winter from October through May.

I've seen many people move to Wyoming in June, July and August, ecstatic to be here. Come Spring there is a For Sale sign in their yard and they are moving back "home". It is tough on women. Weather and access to shopping….

Winters are milder here than Southern and Eastern Wyoming. I've lived in NE, East Central and SE WY. Crotch deep snow many years.
Now in NW coming on 5 years. Milder except for the -32* week in February/March this year.

But, it's only 50 miles through grizzly country to Yellowstone National Park!

Last edited:
They must have brought us some more down here on Togwotee I've seen 3 last week. Wish they would send some to DC
We saw 7 grizzly in YNP 8 days ago.
One sow with two cubs west of Mammoth and one sow with three cubs south of Mammoth.
Young lady who serves me coffee most mornings was with her fiancé last night and saw a boar along the Highway about 5 miles north of town last night.

Last edited:
Wow then it isn't the same lil town….it was in 2007 on our way from wheatland wy where we stayed for 2 weeks then on up to Alaska so I'm sure it's different now but as I recall we stopped there n toured the museum n kept on moving towards great falls mt
I was living in Wheatland in 2007. (2000-2008)
It was a great little town. If you could stand the wind.
October through May (again) You had to park facing into the wind so your door wouldn't get yanked out of your hand and slammed against the front fender when you opened the door to get out of your car.
Some days you had to park facing south so you could open your drivers door to get OUT of your car.
NOT kidding.

Last edited:
That's the one reason I stay in the desert southwest part of the US. I can go get all the snow I could want and then go home. And we are not a grizz kind of state. The last one taken was about 100 years ago. Somehow we think the Mexican Gray wolf is a great idea so maybe these idiots will attempt the grizz reintroduction.