How much powder?

Powder supply is what it is! Most of it was picked up on sale or traded for, others where bought cheap after one of these hoarding sessionsšŸ˜
I have picked up a lb or 2 at retail but dont see the need to pay scalper prices call me a hoarder if you want but I is prepared!

Powder supply is what it is! Most of it was picked up on sale or traded for, others where bought cheap after one of these hoarding sessionsšŸ˜
I have picked up a lb or 2 at retail but dont see the need to pay scalper prices call me a hoarder if you want but I is prepared!
I've got cash in hand, ready for the day that happens. I know I've been guilty of selling off things I shouldn't have. Something new and shiny came along that I just needed and I sold good powder and primers on the cheap. I must be doing better, a guy can make a good ROI on primers and powder right now. I mean, if guy happened to have any...

IMO, all of these threads about components being unavailable or high prices, etc. are worthless and clog up the feeds of this very great resource. Nothing new is revealed that can't be found with a simple search of previous threads. I don't like contributing to them, but I've had a couple of bourbons tonight.

People have different values, incomes, spending habits, etc. do what you feel is right and don't judge others, lest you be judged yourself. That's the simplest way of looking at things- and it'll clear up the recent posts feed so we can get back to learning about what we all love...LRH.

God bless.

I have never heard of anyone getting cited for NFPA violations my understanding is that they are recommendations.

NFPA are recommendations UNTIL they are incorporated into legal code by local, State or Federal rule, then they are enforceable by law. The number of citations against a NFPA codes are enormous. Many of the NFPA codes are adopted by legal entities so they do not have to write their own codes. Most of the NFPA codes are adopted by rule so the States do not have to write their own and just point to NFPA. Even OSHA and EPA does the same pointing to NFPA as incorporated rule. OSHA points to NFPA for a lot of enforceable codes such as NFPA 70 NEC, 70E Arc Flash, 101 Life Safety Code and so on. The real problem is the focus is on NFPA 495 "explosive materials" but the storage of smokeless powder in personal residence is included within the adopted rule. Unless it is specifically carved out by a State which may be the case in some isntances where the point is for fireworks, there doesn't seem to be an easy out. At least not one I could find and I have looked real hard over the years for it. If anyone can find an exception to NFPA 495 for storage of residential smokeless powder that has been adopted by total rule by a State, please chime in.

NFPA 495 Explosive Materials code is adopted by rule by a lot States relative to fire safety through the Fire Marshal. Just go to your state fire marshal site and it will probably be there. They use it to control fireworks mostly but the residential storage of smokeless powder is in it as well.

What is interesting is BATF does not include smokeless powder in THEIR Explosive Materials rules and this is off their website:
Is smokeless powder designed for use in small arms ammunition subject to the explosives storage requirements?
Smokeless powders designed for use in small arms ammunition are exempt from regulation under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and the regulations in 27 CFR Part 555. Packaging that readily identifies the smokeless powder as being designed for use in small arms ammunition may help in determining whether it is entitled to the exemption. Smokeless powder designed for use other than in small arms ammunition, and explosive products such as squibs, fireworks, theatrical special effects, or other articles that may contain smokeless powders, are regulated and must be stored pursuant to the regulations at 27 CFR 555, Subpart K ā€“ Storage.

It should be noted that persons engaged in the business of importing or manufacturing smokeless powder designed for any use must have a Federal explosives license. Further, importers of smokeless powder designed for use in small arms ammunition must also possess an ATF firearms importers license (Type 08 or 11); must register with ATF under the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act; and must submit (to ATF) and receive an approved ATF Form 6 ā€“ part I (5330.3A), Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms Ammunition and Implements of War.

For Example - OSHA - Incorporated by Reference Link; OSHA Incorporated by Reference
The list is a very long list of those "non legal codes" incorporated by reference and now enforceable.

NFPA are recommendations UNTIL they are incorporated into legal code by local, State or Federal rule, then they are enforceable by law. The number of citations against a NFPA codes are enormous. Many of the NFPA codes are adopted by legal entities so they do not have to write their own codes. Most of the NFPA codes are adopted by rule so the States do not have to write their own and just point to NFPA. Even OSHA and EPA does the same pointing to NFPA as incorporated rule. OSHA points to NFPA for a lot of enforceable codes such as NFPA 70 NEC, 70E Arc Flash, 101 Life Safety Code and so on. The real problem is the focus is on NFPA 495 "explosive materials" but the storage of smokeless powder in personal residence is included within the adopted rule. Unless it is specifically carved out by a State which may be the case in some isntances where the point is for fireworks, there doesn't seem to be an easy out. At least not one I could find and I have looked real hard over the years for it. If anyone can find an exception to NFPA 495 for storage of residential smokeless powder that has been adopted by total rule by a State, please chime in.

NFPA 495 Explosive Materials code is adopted by rule by a lot States relative to fire safety through the Fire Marshal. Just go to your state fire marshal site and it will probably be there. They use it to control fireworks mostly but the residential storage of smokeless powder is in it as well.

What is interesting is BATF does not include smokeless powder in THEIR Explosive Materials rules and this is off their website:
Is smokeless powder designed for use in small arms ammunition subject to the explosives storage requirements?
Smokeless powders designed for use in small arms ammunition are exempt from regulation under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and the regulations in 27 CFR Part 555. Packaging that readily identifies the smokeless powder as being designed for use in small arms ammunition may help in determining whether it is entitled to the exemption. Smokeless powder designed for use other than in small arms ammunition, and explosive products such as squibs, fireworks, theatrical special effects, or other articles that may contain smokeless powders, are regulated and must be stored pursuant to the regulations at 27 CFR 555, Subpart K ā€“ Storage.

It should be noted that persons engaged in the business of importing or manufacturing smokeless powder designed for any use must have a Federal explosives license. Further, importers of smokeless powder designed for use in small arms ammunition must also possess an ATF firearms importers license (Type 08 or 11); must register with ATF under the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act; and must submit (to ATF) and receive an approved ATF Form 6 ā€“ part I (5330.3A), Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms Ammunition and Implements of War.

For Example - OSHA - Incorporated by Reference Link; OSHA Incorporated by Reference
The list is a very long list of those "non legal codes" incorporated by reference and now enforceable.
Recommendation being the key word here

BB: there are very few NFPA codes that are just recommendations since the majority are incorporated into legal statutes at some level. They are a real PITA since they add another layer of bureaucracy that in some cases you have to buy the dang code to understand what the heck you are being held accountable to. But on other hand they are usually well written unlike some government regulation written by someone has never stepped into a manufacturing plant.

BB: there are very few NFPA codes that are just recommendations since the majority are incorporated into legal statutes at some level. They are a real PITA since they add another layer of bureaucracy that in some cases you have to buy the dang code to understand what the heck you are being held accountable to. But on other hand they are usually well written unlike some government regulation written by someone has never stepped into a manufacturing plant.
I agree. As an electrician, we have NFPA rules/codes impacting us on almost a daily basis. Most are there for good reason. Others, just bureaucracy that slow things down and takes any intelligence out of the installer. Typical government telling how to do things.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.