How much ATV is enough?

I use mine like a borrowed mule! Water/Lunch..First Aid kit..10 min. Flares DRY socks gloves and hoodie! I have a dry box on the back that holds everything including a camo cover for the ATV. Pack accordingly for the conditions? I have places I know are an easy ride so I take less

I am another one that believes in being prepared, and have all the "Necessities" for it in a water prof box on the back from a good first aid Kit to an extra 100 foot Kevlar winch rope that I have never used. but like everything I carry I have never needed it or used my wench to get me out of a bad spot but I still carry it.

It's like the guy that went to the doctor about his arm that was broken in three places. and the doctor told him to stay out of those places.o_O
I try to stay out of those places to.

J E CUSTOM

I have a Honda rancher that is 11 years old. It's been through hell and back. I've sank it in the river and fished it out and she's still going strong

Got a 2006 rubicon does everything I have asked it to do but believe me my youngest son of 34 has put in places that it would take a bulldozer to go so like everyone else keep plenty of of gear on it

I have a 2015 Honda Foreman 500 that I got slightly used for such a bargain that I couldn't walk away.
Tons of power and seems fast enough. Plows snow, etc.
But I always have that feeling - Should I have held out for one of the monster 750's ?
Buy the bigger one, you don't have to run it full blast all the time.
Gary

There is something to be said for having similar or even matching machines. When it comes to maintenance, repair and operation.
If you're happy with your current machine maybe look for another?

Agreed. I'm used to working on the 570. Grease zerks are easy to find, front and rear diff fluids easy to change, etc. Saves a lot of clams being able to do that stuff yourself!

Recently picked up a Can Am Outlander max 1000r and it's a beast. If I were going to do it again I dont think I would get another 1000r. I like the extended wheelbase tho.

To me a good quad is;

<500cc

No CVT

No electric shift

Any bigger and a side by side starts looking pretty good. Much safer, much more comfortable and much better equipped to carry a real load

Honda pioneer 500. Since I bought this I don't think I will ever own another quad!
I did the same thing after my 2015 hunts. As they say on the Honda forum....with age comes the cage. I see to many people getting tore up on their quads. At 61 I don't bounce anymore.

I did the same thing after my 2015 hunts. As they say on the Honda forum....with age comes the cage. I see to many people getting tore up on their quads. At 61 I don't bounce anymore.

I still like the 4 wheelers over the Side by Sides because of the way I use them and the fact that they will go places that most Side by Sides won't. I am 78 and to be safe I built a Roll Bar for mine that should protect me should I get stupid.

We hunt very uneven and rocky ground and there is nothing good about rolling these 6 to 800 pound machines over, so better to be safe than sorry.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.