How much are you cutting back?

How much are you cutting back on centerfire rifle shooting?

• None. Shooting more than ever

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • About the same

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • Cut back 25%

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Cut back 50%

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Cut back 75%

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I refuse to use my components

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
I think a lot of the candidate shortage is voluntary, and the extreme length and $$ value of unemployment is the biggest motivating factor in that. I can't claim to understand it but a lot of people won't work if they don't have to. Lots of kids today aren't raised that their self value is tied in any way to their contribution to anything but themselves. They aren't taught that they need to accomplish anything or to take pride in what they do. Smoking dope in mom's basement cashing checks that were taken from people that worked hard for that money doesn't bother them at all.

Like LJV76 said, even when you get to the interview stage few show up, and lots of them want vastly more money than the position warrants and vastly more than their contribution to the company warrants and vastly more than their knowledge and experience would bring. This is due to the requirement of unemployment benefits requiring a job search, if they never TAKE a job but they apply/interview occasionally the government checks keep coming.

That said, I am a hiring manager, manufacturing sector. I have open positions that I am not filling right now because I am uncertain about the future. Raw materials are hard to get, and that is a HUGE understatement. The supply chain worldwide is a mess. The economy isn't great and inflation shows no sign of improvement so it will take a toll like it did in the 80's . I try hard to hire people with the intention of keeping them, and the uncertainty that I see is keeping me running a minimum crew. Balancing overtime with the costs of hiring more people isn't easy but I won't hire with the intention or feeling that a layoff could be in the relatively near future.

I'm shooting about the same, but did change what I shoot. Got into smokeless muzzleloaders and it's worked out great. IMR 4198 is pretty plentiful as are bullets for these 'hawg legs'. Sold a 300 Win Mag recently and now have plenty of magnum primers, too. Figured it was a good time to put "Improvise, Overcome & Adapt" into play. 😇

I'm shooting about the same as the last 5-6 years. Before the pandemic and the shortages, I had laid in a fairly deep supply of most everything needed for many, many years. Over the years and decades, I bought up a lot of estate and yard sales, sporting good clearances, closeouts, mil surplus powders, casting and swaging supplies, large bulk purchases, etc, etc.

I've stopped all new load development, Sticking to what I have already developed so not to waste what I have. Also some guns that I just occasionally shoot are now staying home. Everything is ready for hunting season. So only scope check shots until real shots at game. 75% or more for me.