How many of you are considering a tri-pod to shoot off of for hunting?

Ernie

SPONSOR
Curious who is doing it or is considering it?

What is the weight of your hunting gun that you also shoot off of a tri-pod?

2023 will be the year that I dive into this hard, to see what my limits will be, especially with center-grip single-shot XP-100's.
I have used tri-pod's in the past, but I am wanting to get serious about it this year.

Using 8" or 10" steel what is the max distance you can hit your target every time (with your hunting rig) from standing, sitting, or double kneeling? Especially interested in standing.

I am getting Arca rails (2.5-3 inches long) installed after the first of the year on a handful of my primary hunting center-grip XP-100's: (6mm-284, 25-284, 6.5-284, 280AI, and 300 SAUM).
I do understand I am adding weight to my hunting set-up.

Pros and Cons?
Below is my 6.5-284
7B89593A-DCB3-4E4C-883A-1AF95CB10434.jpeg

5C05C1A0-2B1D-4823-8D52-74C56FA328A5.jpeg

Last edited:
I always carry a tripod when I hunt out west. Last 3 elk I shot were all from the tripod. Sure helps to get above the sage, etc. Ranges on the 3 were 324-450. Practice regularly off the tripod and like anything, spend the money to get a quality piece of equipment and mounting system.
Congrats on your hunting
Do you know the weight of your rifle?
Weight of your tri-pod (Including the head)?

What is the weight of your hunting gun that you also shoot of of a tri-pod?

2023 will be the year that I dive into this hard, to see what my limits will be, especially with center-grip single-shot XP-100's.
I have used tri-pod's in the past, but I am wanting to get serious about it this year.

Using 8" or 10" steel what is the max distance you can hit your target every time (with your hunting rig) from standing, sitting, or double kneeling? Especially interested in standing.

I am getting Arca rails (2.5-3 inches long) installed after the first of the year on a handful of my primary hunting center-grip XP-100's: (6mm-284, 25-284, 6.5-284, 280AI, and 300 SAUM).

Pros and Cons?
The only con I can think of is weight and something else to carry. There are many pros being more steady being able to hit your target, etc. I used to use Jim Shockey trigger sticks, but I lost them on the hunt in Georgia. I've gone to the swagger, bipod, not the big ugly one that mounts under the forend, this one just clips to your rail under the forend .

I have two Manfrottos (carbon and AL) and a carbon Innorel. With my rifles I can easily hold MOA off of them kneeling or sitting in my collapsible chairs, better than 1.5 MOA standing. My middle daughter, son, and I have all taken deer at 300 plus off tripods. I use a hog saddle (least favorite and very heavy) and Larue rail grabbers for picatinny rails. They aren't light but when the brush is tall enough to keep you off of prone I don't think there's a better option so it's worth it.

Not sure how it would be on pistol but I feel very safe in assuming it would be much more accurate than a walking stick or bipod.

I no longer use bipods, just tripods with arca Swiss rails on my guns and optics. My guns weigh 8 lbs with scopes. I have always carried a tripod for glassing so it doesn't add extra weight. I can be real solid out to 500 yds with my light weight tripod. It's a Luepold can't remember the name but it's there latest small carbon fiber tripod with ball head 3-4 lbs. If a use my bigger vortex tripod I am solid at 600. It weighs 6-7 lbs. Leofroto makes nice carbon tripods with good ball heads in all different sizes

What is the weight of your hunting gun that you also shoot off of a tri-pod?

Pros and Cons?
Well Ernie there are tripods, and then there are tripods.
Big heavy long barreled guns in large cartridges holding lots of powder require a real tripod.
And you just cant buy real tripods for those type guns.
But they can be built.

I use a BOG deathgrip for varmint hunting with rifles in the 10 -12 pound range. I also use it with my Encore and Striker pistols, but have not had opportunity to take shots on game beyond 300 yards. From a seated or kneeling position in the field, I'm good to 500 yards with the rifles. My longest kill this year was 515 yards on a groundhog. I've not taken standing shots, but I would expect my effective range to be reduced because I can't rest my elbow on my knee. I've only had the tripod for 6 months and have not taken it to the range to test at longer ranges.

Ernie, this is the tripod I have. I have not yet used this really. I will say I have had two breakages just using it around the house to hold my XP's while I've done something minor to the gun.

Big replaced a broken clamp and then sent me a whole new unit second time.

Hopefully this one will hold up.

I've yet to shoot off of it.

Attachments

• 35B3B435-15A0-4C81-947C-6D740EF63517.jpeg
    35B3B435-15A0-4C81-947C-6D740EF63517.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • C7F0DA96-5EA5-4D25-B93C-11DF7B992DF8.jpeg
    C7F0DA96-5EA5-4D25-B93C-11DF7B992DF8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • F0CE1D90-3981-4B0C-8D25-8CAD818A2AC6.jpeg
    F0CE1D90-3981-4B0C-8D25-8CAD818A2AC6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
I don't have rails on my lighter weight hunting rifles so I use a bag with tripod attachment. My wife used it this year for first time and was good to 400 yards. She shot her mule deer at 310 kneeling. I carry tripod for my spotter anyway. I can use it anywhere from prone to standing but standing it defiantly has some movement

Well Ernie there are tripods, and then there are tripods.
Big heavy long barreled guns in large cartridges holding lots of powder require a real tripod.
And you just cant buy real tripods for those type guns.
But they can be built.
Well, I don't have heavy or long barreled guns: 15-17" barrels...
With that in mind, any suggestions?

I carry a gunwerks tripod. It's around 5lbs. I put an arca rail on the rifles I want to shoot this way. My main hunting rifle is a 7saum and it's right at 10lbs. I have carried a tripod for years for glassing. Now I just carry a sturdier one. We've taken 4 animals off it in the past two years. I feel very comfortable to 600 yards on deer sized game with it. Elk a bit further with the right conditions.

If I'm backpacking in far I will do things a bit differently and save about 6 lbs on my shooting system but wind have the ability to shoot past around 300 unless I can get prone.