How many of you are considering a tri-pod to shoot off of for hunting?

Looks sort of tacky but works better than my Death Grip. I am real olde & have no plans to lug this assemblage around to shoot deers & ellks.

Elevation via threaded rod & wheel on front sled. Windage via sliding friction using Teflon coated aluminum fry pan screwed on 3/4 plywood against smooth flat top tripod. This application gave over 95% hits on 8-inch steel at 500 yards. Sitting gets me over weeds & most bushes. Standing not as stable but better view. About 10 pounds,.22-.250, 75 ELDM, my most used long range rodent rifle.

IMG_1183 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I elk hunted last year using a cabelas tripod with the typical v notch on top. It was okay for shooting as I've used it or similar for years but provided little stability for glassing.

Knowing everything is a compromise I went into this year wanting a tripod tall enough to glass / shoot while standing but primarily for glassing and shooting from the seated position.

I researched a bunch and put hands on as many as possible.

I settled on the Leupold Alpine tripod due to its light weight of 2 pounds including a ball head and a fair price.

It's great for glassing although just a couple inches too short for extended periods of stand up glassing. I'm 5'11" and have to crouch just a bit to get behind the glass. It worked great with my 15x56 Meopta's.

From the seated position it was great for glassing and good for shooting although I felt most comfortable using my pack for rear support on my muley at 640 yards. The weight of the tripod and small size of the ball head lacks a little stability.

All in all when trying to save weight I'm happy with it and plan to use it again next year.

20221116_090943.jpg

I now use a RRS 34 and Anvil30. Absolutely love shooting off if this set up. I packed it with me this year 4-5 miles in and didn't care about the weight. If I remember correctly, the total weight is about 6lbs? I also have a pig saddle with a arca plate on it for rifles without a picatinny or arca rail. I dropped the coin on the RRS set up after struggling with Chinese set ups that couldn't handle my lightweight 30N on a XLR chassis. I think the XP that I'm having built may need a small rail attached after reading this thread. It didn't cross my mind to put a rail on it until reading this. I think it would work great

IMG_5733.jpg

I now use a RRS 34 and Anvil30. Absolutely love shooting off if this set up. I packed it with me this year 4-5 miles in and didn't care about the weight. If I remember correctly, the total weight is about 6lbs? I also have a pig saddle with a arca plate on it for rifles without a picatinny or arca rail. I dropped the coin on the RRS set up after struggling with Chinese set ups that couldn't handle my lightweight 30N on a XLR chassis. I think the XP that I'm having built may need a small rail attached after reading this thread. It didn't cross my mind to put a rail on it until reading this. I think it would work great

View attachment 420672
Cool!
A 2.5-3 inch Arca rail right up against the front of the trigger guard. I am having the smith take away a little of the front of the trigger guard as well.

I'd like to see that when completed and possibly go the same route.

I am sending three McMillan Center-grip Stocks to Michael @ Nine Run Gun (6-284, 25-284, and 6.5-284) in early January.
Tim King is attaching a Arca to my 300 SAUM XP-100 (H-S Precision center-grip stock). Tim is building my 300 SAUM.
I will also do my 280AI XP (McMillan), once I see how I do with the 284 Winchester family and 300 SAUM XP's

I am sending three McMillan Center-grip Stocks to Michael @ Nine Run Gun (6-284, 25-284, and 6.5-284) in early January.
Tim King is attaching a Arca to my 300 SAUM XP-100 (H-S Precision center-grip stock). Tim is building my 300 SAUM.
I will also do my 280AI XP (McMillan), once I see how I do with the 284 Winchester family and 300 SAUM XP's
You will be sending my stock to Michael as well! šŸ˜