How light? 300 rum carry gun

ttfreestyle

I am wanting to build a carry 300 rum . My question is what is the smallest contour barrel I can use and still have great accuracy for long shots? I am ordering a bartlein factory fluted barrel finished at 24 inches. I have a rem action, manners elite hunter stock and leupold 6.5x20x40 scope. Now which barrel? Thanks for any replys

I was looking at the number 3 and the 3B, I wasn't sure which was best.

The 3b is a bit bigger, it's like everyone else #5 I believe...Bartlein has a different contouring number system then everyone else. Look at their dimensions compared to some other companys. gun)

I think I would go with a 300 WM at 24" The RUM case is big and burning all that powder in a short barrel may not be great. My 300 WM has a #3 brux 26" and is 10 lb 2 oz with a 5-20x56 SHV. Holds half moa out to 700 yds if I do my part. Also my 300 WM is burning 13 gr less powder and almost the same speed as my 300 RUM. Both shooting 215 Bergers.

I have many 30 cal magnums, including 300 RUM.

There are so many factors in making personal choices. I don't want to second guess your preference.

But

IIWM

If the barrel length of 24" is critical, I would go WSM or WM. Velocity loss of the 300 RUM is greater in the shorter barrel putting performance in the realm of the WSM or WM anyway. Muzzle blast and perceived recoil is greater due to high exit pressure and in burnt powder.

If the barrel length can be 26", I would go 300 RUM and did. Makes your 500 yard parameter with ease.

I have not shot any of my Bartlien barrels (umm well its early, more coffee needed for brain to work well), however, the #3 fluted would be a fine compromise.

I made a 300Wby 26" that is #8.5. Without a brake, not fun for the shooter, with a brake, not fun for bystanders.

You can get a 300 RUM pretty light. I have one with 26" barrel on M70 action that weighs 7 lb. But my baby is a 700 Rem with 24" Weisman barrel (and brake) that is chambered for the 300 Canadian (cartridge the 300 RUM is based on - I use 300 RUM brass) that weighs 5.4 lbs as bear rifle that I have shot thousands of rounds thru, still shoots .5 to .75 moa and has killed many, many sheep, goats, Tahr, ibex, tur, chamois and argali sheep over the last 2 decades. Hunt ready with scope, sling, full mag and 4 cartridges on stock tips the scale at 6 lbs 11 oz. and fits me like an old glove.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.