How light is to light

Most folks when speaking about a light rifle are speaking about carrying it. There is such a thing as too light when it comes to shooting it. And I'm not just talking about the felt recoil. A heavier rifle is easier to shoot accurately free-handed or with a sling. And yeah, the felt recoil is less and it is easier to hold steady when rested. Some folks can shoot light rifles really well, but it does require a bit more finesse in the hold and touch.

I used to think you could start out light and then make the rifle heavier if you needed to. So that's what I did. Had a sporter weight barreled rifle that shot well but punched me quite hard. So I added a laminate stock to make it heavier. It worked. Never carried it much of anywhere after that. Sold it last November.

My approach has changed and I like it much better now. Now I put together a rifle that has a heavier contour barrel and try to keep everything else light. Putting more weight into the barrel than into the stock works much better for me accuracy-wise and carrying too. No more heavy laminate stocks for me.

I have a Tikka T3 Hunter that started out at 6.3 lbs and I used aluminum DNZ rings and a lighter scope. It is right on the edge of too light for me. The Limbsaver recoil pad is really a...limbsaver for me on this rifle. My magnum rifles are heavier and actually more pleasant to shoot than the light Tikka in 30-06.

What kind of hunting you do makes a big difference. If you hike for days and many miles to get a shot, lighter is better. If you take your rifle to a stand or set up on a pod a short walk from you vehicle then heavier is better.

Well said Jon. I think balance regardless the weight is important. I have a Kimber Classic in 6.5CM that I am quite fond of. I wouldn't mind it being a little lighter but with more weight in the barrel. Might have to play with it a bit more to get that at balance just right.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts