338 twist on a carry rifle with light pills

Coyboy

I've been kicking around the idea of a light compact 338 federal for elk stalking. max shots of 400ish, mostly under 200 is expected.

Has anyone built a slow twist 338 and shot the 160-185 barnes bullets?

I want as slow a twist as possible and was thinking about a 1-14 or 15 twist shooting the 160's at 3000 fps out of an 18-20 inch tube.

I've read about 12 twist 338wm shooting 250 and 225 bullets well, so I am wondering if any of you guys have some experience to offer with this idea.

I also have ideas for a new "brake" on somthing like this that will be less efficent but take the edge off, and not increase the report. This rifle will be the test platform.

With the 160 I think you could go 1-14. I think the 185 is the best choice and I would do a 1-12 with that one. I know it shoots realy well in my 1-12 twist barrels but I do not have any 1-14 twist 338 barrels to try for you. I am judging that on the fact the 185 is a long bullet per weight that is just short of the 225 AB and about the same shape. I am doing BC tests on the 185 later this year because I am convinced from shooting it quite a bit the BC is far greater than the .432 Barnes lists for it. In the 308 case I think it would be a great lightweight elk rifle for the ranges you are looking at. That bullet in the 338 winchester was proven deadly to 800 yards this year on my trips. I blew through a grizzly with it at 200 yards and took out the offside shoulder. The bear dropped in his tracks. I am confident with the 185 ttsx barnes and elk. I am shooting it 3100 fps in my 338 Gibbs with a 1-12 twist with excellent accuracy.

LTLR, thanks for the post. I have learned in elk hunting that it seems you always get a couple days when the weather reduces visability to close range traking and stalking on those days. This rifle will be for such work, 2010 was a good example, I practiced all year to take a 30 yard shot on a bull I tracked to it's bed.

Last year I purchased a Match Grade Machine 24" 338 Federal, standard contour, shilen select match grade barrel for my tc encore. The barrel has the 10 twist. I have only shot the 200 gr speer bullets so far, but I am going to try the 160 Barnes bullets and see what they do as well. I have been doing a little research on this lately. I believe on Midway's customer reviews of the bullet one reviewer stated he was getting very good accuracy with this from a tikka rifle and getting 2900 plus muzzle velocity. Not sure what the barrel lengths on the Tikka are. Can you get more speed with a faster twist and shorter length barrel?

Last year I purchased a Match Grade Machine 24" 338 Federal, standard contour, shilen select match grade barrel for my tc encore. The barrel has the 10 twist. I have only shot the 200 gr speer bullets so far, but I am going to try the 160 Barnes bullets and see what they do as well. I have been doing a little research on this lately. I believe on Midway's customer reviews of the bullet one reviewer stated he was getting very good accuracy with this from a tikka rifle and getting 2900 plus muzzle velocity. Not sure what the barrel lengths on the Tikka are. Can you get more speed with a faster twist and shorter length barrel?

I believe you can get more speed with slower twist, a few months ago I built a 308 with a 17 twist just to shoot the 110 v-max. I need to find some faster powder for this gun as of now H4895 filling half way up the neck shows no excessive pressure signs and they are running 3450 fps. 26" Brux.

I have several 338's with 1-12 twist for shooting light bullets at top velocity. 338 gibbs, 338 lapua, 338-378 wby, 338-300 RUM and a couple more. Never tried the 1-14 though. Those rifles seem to get more velocity before they build to much pressure. May be a myth, I don't know, but it works for me so I keep doing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.