How important is a stock??

Hespco

Feather weight .264 001.JPG
In July of 2019 I bought a new Win 70 stainless Feather weight .264 mag. Immediately went home & with the judicious use of bedding compound I fitted a post 1965 Win push feed stock to the new rifle. I realize some will say, UG!!. But to me the old stock makes me feel good about the rifle. The original FW stock is still , as new, perfect. Will I ever use it? Probably not, but will keep it. Pictures show the rifle with both stocks. The rifle shoots exactly the same with both stocks... No problem there.
Feather weight .264 002.JPG

View attachment 486980In July of 2019 I bought a new Win 70 stainless Feather weight .264 mag. Immediately went home & with the judicious use of bedding compound I fitted a post 1965 Win push feed stock to the new rifle. I realize some will say, UG!!. But to me the old stock makes me feel good about the rifle. The original FW stock is still , as new, perfect. Will I ever use it? Probably not, but will keep it. Pictures show the rifle with both stocks. The rifle shoots exactly the same with both stocks... No problem there.View attachment 486981
I have a FW mod 70 270 wsm in a B&C stock, the stock is OK. But I will probably put it in a McMillan Game Scout at some point. It's my go to hunting rifle pretty much. I didn't grain any accuracy either, I guess the simple dab factory bed job works well. Plus I put in a Timney, the factory trigger wouldn't go below 3.5ish #'s. Way better now at 2.25 #'s, crisper, and the shoe is slightly flatter.

Attachments

• 20200212_192337.jpg
    20200212_192337.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
I still love the look and feel of wood stocks. Looks very nice!

But in the world of cusum guns, I have often wondered why there is not nearly the emphasis on the fit like there is on shotguns. Oh sure, you can get all the stuff to make it adjustable and pay for it(price and weight), yet those things never seem to cross the mind when building a rifle. Most people just buy a stock they like and adjust to it.

Having my dad's '61 mod70 264wm and my newer mod70 of the same style (26") the pre model is WAY better. Very nice-looking firearm there! Enjoy it!

I am partial to a great wood stock, something about the character and figure of the wood, and the nostalgia since plastic stocks weren't a thing when I was a kid.
Several of the guns in my safe have original factory stocks and I love me a good piece of wood.
However, I rarely took them hunting when I was in Alaska because of the remote hunting areas I tended to be in and the amount of moisture we had in those remote areas. In most of those hunting situations
When not in a remote area where I have the ability to clean and dry out my gun, I often reach for my 270WSM Win Model 70 Classic, or something similar.
Love the gun!
Thanks for sharing.

I think many of us are showing our age in that we didn't grow up with synthetic stocks (and the examples we had were extremely poor by today's standards.

Wonder if some of the younger people view wood stocks the way we used to look at the old " plastic stocks"? Let's face it, most of the lower cost rifles with wood stocks are basically some variety of painted hardwood. Sadly, the hope of getting a nice looking walnut stock with a little grain on a factory stock is all but gone.

I am partial to a great wood stock, something about the character and figure of the wood, and the nostalgia since plastic stocks weren't a thing when I was a kid.
Several of the guns in my safe have original factory stocks and I love me a good piece of wood.
However, I rarely took them hunting when I was in Alaska because of the remote hunting areas I tended to be in and the amount of moisture we had in those remote areas. In most of those hunting situations
When not in a remote area where I have the ability to clean and dry out my gun, I often reach for my 270WSM Win Model 70 Classic, or something similar.
Love the gun!
Thanks for sharing.
Why is it someone could not seal the whole wood stock to keep it from warping ? Polyurethane should do nicely. Most stocks are not sealed where the action & barrel rest. Which is where all the water (moisture) is going and soaking into the wood. Now if it was sealed. I don't see how it could be any worst or better than a plastic stock. At least until the urethane started breaking down.

Why is it someone could not seal the whole wood stock to keep it from warping ? Polyurethane should do nicely. Most stocks are not sealed where the action & barrel rest. Which is where all the water (moisture) is going and soaking into the wood. Now if it was sealed. I don't see how it could be any worst or better than a plastic stock. At least until the urethane started breaking down.
Polyurethane generally doesn't soak in. It's basically a glued on finish and will chip or Crack. Oil finishes penatrate better but generally don't seal as well.both work well...for a while.

Wood expands and contracts with moisture content which also contributes to the breakdown of bothe types.

Love the gun!
Thanks for sharing.
I too love a wood stock and always have a soft spot for the win featherweight. When I'm in Alaska I don't use wood either it's just too hard of conditions. Seldom do you ever hear of plastic stocks breaking either.

Polyurethane generally doesn't soak in. It's basically a glued on finish and will chip or Crack. Oil finishes penatrate better but generally don't seal as well.both work well...for a while.

Wood expands and contracts with moisture content which also contributes to the breakdown of bothe types.
Boiled Linseed Oil is the top option to consider for finishing a gunstock. It dries quickly and spreads evenly. The finish is waterproof and provides a UV-resistant layer of protection.

Recent Posts