How Important Is Side Parallax for 0-600 Yard Hunting?

my fixed 10x42 scope is not adjustable and has factory set parallax at 300m. Works great out to 600 yards. Just not as great at 6 yards....
All scopes will work well at any range as long as you have your eyeball centered in the exact center of the scopes eyepiece. Any variation at any range other than the distance the scope was manufactured for, in most cases 100 yrds, will result in misses caused by parallax error. The side or front parallax adjustments help with eyeball placement but are far from foolproof.

All scopes will work well at any range as long as you have your eyeball centered in the exact center of the scopes eyepiece. Any variation at any range other than the distance the scope was manufactured for, in most cases 100 yrds, will result in misses caused by parallax error. The side or front parallax adjustments help with eyeball placement but are far from foolproof.
Can you cite any respected source for this statement?

It's a easy test, I've done it with scopes up to 10 power without a parallax adjustment, and it worked fine out to 1000 yards. I started a thread on it back in the day.
Nightforce
Vortex and a few others never put adjustable parallax adjustment on their 10x variables. There was a explanation posted somewhere. I'm almost certain it was JE who offered a good explanation.

And I will be looking forward to your rebuttal research on the issue. If you are too lazy to do the research then keep your mouth shut. Here is something for you to consider...from Burris.

You probably should have watched that video before posting it since it doesn't support your statement above.

She actually does a pretty decent job of explaining it.

You probably should have watched that video before posting it since it doesn't support your statement above.

She actually does a pretty decent job of explaining it.
Get your head out of your *** and smell the roses. What is your come back. Do you have anything to refute this or are you simply wasting my time as well as the others here? I'm not going to reply to your childish come backs until you have something constructive to add to the discussion. Don't waste my time and the time of others here. I did watch the video, maybe you should too. It explains parallax pretty well to most people with a brain. Sorry folks, sometimes the comments here do not make sense, but so be it.

Get your head out of your *** and smell the roses. What is your come back. Do you have anything to refute this or are you simply wasting my time as well as the others here? I'm not going to reply to your childish come backs until you have something constructive to add to the discussion. Don't waste my time and the time of others here. I did watch the video, maybe you should too. It explains parallax pretty well to most people with a brain. Sorry folks, sometimes the comments here do not make sense, but so be it.

Your video didn't support your statement nor does any other credible source I'm aware of.

You made the statement, it's up to you to support it.

Best watch the incivility, you won't last long here speaking to people in such a manner.

Well that wasn't very lady like.
Do we have to take the discussion there?

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/shooting_tips_rs_shiftingview_200910/84208.

From the same article
"Remember, parallax is no problem at all if your eye is on the scope's axis, regardless of range, magnification or exit pupil size."

So yes She is correct that if you keep your eye perfectly centered on the scopes axis parallax is not a concern. Now from a practical standpoint at high magnification and long range the execution of this without an external adjustment can prove to be quite difficult. Thus the addition of parallax adjustment on high power scopes intended for long range use. For traditional shorter ranges of shooting it is of course less a concern. Especially at lower power.

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/shooting_tips_rs_shiftingview_200910/84208.

From the same article
"Remember, parallax is no problem at all if your eye is on the scope's axis, regardless of range, magnification or exit pupil size."

So yes She is correct that if you keep your eye perfectly centered on the scopes axis parallax is not a concern. Now from a practical standpoint at high magnification and long range the execution of this without an external adjustment can prove to be quite difficult. Thus the addition of parallax adjustment on high power scopes intended for long range use. For traditional shorter ranges of shooting it is of course less a concern. Especially at lower power.
The problem is that while you may not see the crosshair moving around you still have the issue of not knowing your actual POA without eliminating the Parallax.

The Parallax issue is still there even when your eye is perfectly centered in the scope.

Scopes intended for fyne target shooting always have focus/parallax adjustments so bullets will hit where aimed & prevent blurry images.

A scope diagram would help the Burris lady.

Screenshot (340).png

Last edited: