How Important Is Side Parallax for 0-600 Yard Hunting?

The problem is that while you may not see the crosshair moving around you still have the issue of not knowing your actual POA without eliminating the Parallax.

The Parallax issue is still there even when your eye is perfectly centered in the scope.
If you center your eye in the scope the small amount of parallax is not going to make you miss an animal at 600 yds. You would have to take the worse possible viewing angle through the scope and even then it's not likely enough. Obviously if your shooting competition every little bit does matter but for a hunter with a 10" kill zone not so much.

If you center your eye in the scope the small amount of parallax is not going to make you miss an animal at 600 yds. You would have to take the worse possible viewing angle through the scope and even then it's not likely enough. Obviously if your shooting competition every little bit does matter but for a hunter with a 10" kill zone not so much.
My goal is not to "hit an animal" it is to put the bullet in a specific spot on the animal. At long range it doesn't take much uncertainty to have you missing your desired POI.

That's why all of our LR scopes have manual parallax adjustments on them.

Update....

I mounted the Steiner 2.5-10x50 and took it to 600 yards from prone with a bipod and rear bag. On 8x, I was able to keep everything within a 6" circle. Not conclusive for different positions, but at least I know that the rifle and scope are up to the task.

Next I'll take the frame pack, tripod, and try some positional shooting to see if the shooter is up to the task.

So far... parallax adjustment not needed for me.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

More to come ....

Last edited: