Ballistic Coefficient (BC) - How important is it?

PredatorSlayer

Inspired by another thread I was on - how important is a bullet’s BC when it comes to long range hunting? Let’s define that as 600+ yards.

I have always chosen high BC bullets- the higher the bc the better as long as it performed well on game. Its not the drop, that can be compensated for with a few more clicks of the turret. Its the wind - if I am going to make a mistake it will likely be a wind read when shooting up in the mountains. I feel like the wind can really get you past 600 yds.

Just curious what everybodys thought were?

Last edited:

WildRose

Inspired by another thread I was on - how important is a bullet’s BC when it comes to long range hunting? Let’s define that as 600+ yards.

I have always chosen high BC bullets- the higher the bc the better as long as it performed well on game. Its not the drop, that can be compensated for with a few more clicks of the turret. Its the wind - if I am going to make a mistake it will like be a wind read when shooting up in the mountains. I feel like the wind can really get you past 600 yds.

Just curious what everybodys thought were?
Out to 600yds, not very important. Between 600-800 it starts to become important.

Beyond a thousand it becomes very important because the longer the bullet is in the air the more the variables you cannot control affect the flight.

For most of us we'll never really see the difference in a BC of .430 and .600 but the further you push it out the greater the benefits of the higher BC bullets.

PredatorSlayer

This is the difference between a .50 G1 BC and .65 G1 BC. Assumes same atmospheric conditions, velocity of 2800 fps and 10 MPH wind.
A129152A-3154-47B6-B86B-D07B91841FB2.png
9C1AC91E-023B-4D3F-8E2D-84562A7CFAF7.png

Rhett Crider

Plug in 3100 MV and it gets even better. Higher BC and less TOF is the optimum for less drift. But you still have to read the wind. I would venture to say that 99% of LR shots on game are at or less than 600 yds. Not saying that once in a life time trophy won't step out a 1000

dfanonymous

I mean technically a cartridge will produce the velocity of the bullet and bullet Mach determines BC so...

Plinker147

Look at BC in simple terms. It relates to predictable accuracy. The better the BC the more predictable the bullet is going to be when dealing with the in flight conditions. Things that effect BC are speed and weight. You can shoot a lower BC bullet say.45 very accurate at distance when you make up for BC with higher velocity. Weight is also a function. If you shoot a 350 gr bullet with a .45 BC it will be more predictable than a 130 gr bullet with same BC. It takes more to move than bullet in flight. Also At X distance as the bullet slows the low BC will come in to play and the bullet will become less predictable on where it impacts.

In short for 7-800 plus yards BC really starts to show. For 700ish and under I’ve found than .45 BC is enough to keep shots in the kill zone. I can keep my 25-06 at 3200 FPS in with .45 BC in 10 in gong easily. My 8x338 with 200gr .45 BC at 2800fps will do the same but really falls off at 600ish.

Competition is different story since the goal is to hit an X is a 4-6in circle.

dfanonymous

Also BC does not “have less wind.”
It maintains velocity longer, thus goes further, faster THAN a less BC bullet before wind affects it AS much.

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce