How does weather keep you from shooting.

Gwine

I was looking forward to getting out and shooting this weekend. Haven't shot much all year. I have a new load for the 7-08 that I wanted to put a few over the chrony at the current temps and confirm zero. Then tomorrow after church, run up to a new place I found that should allow out to 900+ and stretch its legs. Hopefully there will be fewer clouds tomorrow.
This is what it's been like all day at the house. Can't even see my 100yd backstop.
20181229_162712.jpg

Been working on a rifle trying to get it to group, need to shoot just 3 rounds to see if I got it fixed or need to fully bed my magpul stock, but for the past 2 days it's been so windy I haven't had been able to do even that. I can only shoot out to 100 yards at my house, so I wouldn't mind shooting for fun in this wind but not quite ideal for what I'm trying to do. So I feel your pain.

I was looking forward to getting out and shooting this weekend. Haven't shot much all year. I have a new load for the 7-08 that I wanted to put a few over the chrony at the current temps and confirm zero. Then tomorrow after church, run up to a new place I found that should allow out to 900+ and stretch its legs. Hopefully there will be fewer clouds tomorrow.
This is what it's been like all day at the house. Can't even see my 100yd backstop.View attachment 115683

That old Scout though...

Due to my bad eyes I have optics on all my guns except for trap/skeet guns. Whenever it's too humid the scopes fog up on the outside from condensation. Today I wanted to shoot but it was so icy I was worried about getting stuck driving out into the field to put the gong back out.

Cold and wind. Which unfortunately is almost every day here in southern Manitoba. When temperatures get -20 to -30 C plus windchill it's not much fun trying to shoot. For me winter is when I have time to shoot but the weather never cooperates.

If I can make it without getting my truck stuck i am shooting. In fact i got my truck stuck about 200 yards from the spot once and carried my stuff the rest of the way. I will take a quick shade of it's raining and I have to go. The rain slows me down for sure. And eventually the snow when it gets deep enough.

Attachments

• 1208171123a_HDR.jpg
    1208171123a_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 166
In South Dakota it always seems to be windy so as long as I can see the target and the wind is under 25-30mph I'll got out and shoot. I love shooting in the rain and snow and when the temps are below freezing because I usually get my local range all to myself, although when the temps/windchill drop below 0*F, even I stay home.

Like yourself....fog, thought not often. The others would be wind or darkness :), and I can address the dark. Although, the neighbors "would not" be impressed! :D memtb

Guess I'll have to throw wrench into everyone's frigid woes, but here in Az we cringe when trying to test a load when the temp tops 110. Took the grandsons out Saturday to shoot their new Christmas guns at a frigid 55 degrees with no wind. Now where did I put that sunscreen!!

I won't see 55 degrees till May. -25C right now. Feels like temp is -36 with the windchill. Won't be shooting today!! Gotta love Canadian winters. Makes everything hard to do.

+1 with Dosh. I quit shooting in the summer because it so freaking hot just isn't fun. I do most of my shooting in the winter. Just figure you northern guys would love to hear that. Cheers!!

+1 with Dosh. I quit shooting in the summer because it so freaking hot just isn't fun. I do most of my shooting in the winter. Just figure you northern guys would love to hear that. Cheers!!

When the heat is on we go a couple hours north to Flagstaff to shoot in the 65-70 degrees there. Around 6000' differential in elevation.

The place I shoot gets real muddy. They have a covered bench but out to the targets
is a mess! I'm really looking to change clubs.I hope the guy in Indiana gets going!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.