How do you choose the range you zero at?

West of Whitbird 28 miles backed up to the Hells Canyon National Recreation Area. About 240 miles from where you are.

Sounds nice. Think I asked you that before. I love that country up there, grew up on the Salmon river-just a little closer to the head waters end though. You got whitetails around your place or mulies?

All my centerfires are 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 high at 100 yards. Have taken deer at just under 400 yards with my 270 WSM........

I use a 100 yard zero for my target shooting just as a base line, then I dial everything out from there. When I go hunting I use 2 different loads. I have a long range load which I zero my turrets for at 100 yards, then I dial max point blank range for my short range load and don't worry about having to dial anything. I figure when the time comes for the long shot I will have the time to dial my turrets to zero, range the game, read the weather conditions, get a good rest etc. If I can't do all this I will not be taking a long range shot any way. As well, if I jump game while hunting I don't want to be worried about dialing the range in, just point and know I will hit. I use a 6" mpbr.

Last edited:
My MPBR is about 230 which puts me on to about 275, at which point I use the thick duplex until I can't hold on hair...about 400. Beyond 400 will have to wait for better glass and a BDC or mil dot reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.