How accurate are Weatherby Vanguard rifles?

codybrown

I found a Vanguard in 257 Weatherby locally that I'm thinking about buying until I get a custom rifle built. It's the original Vanguard series with the plain black synthetic stock. Overall condition is pretty good, seller is asking $350 for it. What kind of groups do these "value line" Weatherby's shoot? I have never owned a Weatherby branded rifle. Looking for some input on whether to buy this rifle or just save my money towards the custom gun.

I found a Vanguard in 257 Weatherby locally that I'm thinking about buying until I get a custom rifle built. It's the original Vanguard series with the plain black synthetic stock. Overall condition is pretty good, seller is asking $350 for it. What kind of groups do these "value line" Weatherby's shoot? I have never owned a Weatherby branded rifle. Looking for some input on whether to buy this rifle or just save my money towards the custom gun.

Where in Michigan?
If you don't buy it maybe I will. :D

Seriously, the Vanguards are probably one of the best rifles for out-of-the-box accuracy. I own several and each is easily sub-moa with factory ammo. This includes plastic stocked ones, wood stocked ones and B&C stocked ones.

The worst thing about the Vanguards is the trigger. There is a good chance that it will have a fair amount of creep in it, and with tweaking I can get about half of Vanguard triggers to work as well as I'd like. The rest get replaced with a Timney.

Bed a Vanguard in a B&C stock and you'll have a rifle that will last a lifetime of hunting. One of my 270s just took a doe on Saturday, 135 yards, DRT.

Oh, and my latest 257 Vanguard shoots 0.22 inch at 100 yards, 0.67 at 300 with the targets the previous owner sent me. Can't wait to get the scope installed and the handloads going. I can't think of too many customs that can beat it.

.257 Wby Mag is an awesome caliber. I have an Accumark in that caliber. It's a plains-game killing machine (deer, lopes, speed goats, etc...). I've only shot deer with mine, but the local gunstore store owner has killed just about everything on this continent with one.

The Vanguards are fine rifles...And for $350, I don't see how you can go wrong, honestly.

Three sieries 1. All got timneys.

A clerk at my lgs got one in 257Wby. The guys just got back from a Utah trip. It was the only rifle with no ftf, it was used to take all game.

If there were any Vanguard for sale here for $350 it would be sold in minutes.

codybrown, my son bought the same rifle on sale in 2010. We had the 24" barrel cryogenic treated, installed a Timney trigger and bedded a B&C Medalist stock. With hand loads (115gr Bergers, H1000, Wby cases and 215M primers) it shoots 1/2 MOA, as good as my Mark V Wby.

Be sure to check the trigger, I ended up buying one in .243. The sales guy llet me go through their rifles in stock until I found one with a good trigger. I haven't shot it much yet but it seems to shoot about a minute with minimal load testing.

I agree with every other poster, I have owned 5 Vanguards and they all shot 1" or better with premium ammo. The triggers are best replaced, my buddy and I spent hours fooling with them, but found that most didn't adjust to my satisfaction.

I replaced one stock with a B&C Medalist and bedded it, shrunk the groups a lot especially at 300+ yards.

$350 is a no brainer!

Vanguards (Series 1 and 2) are some of the guns I have the most confidence in for out of the box accuracy. Had one in 30-06 (S2) and it loved everything I fed it, straigh out of the box.

Without seeing anyones opinions I would say grab this Rifle and run..
I know a few people that have Weatherby Rifles and one of the same calibre.
this is a keeper, and a golden purchase.
If you have changed your mind of not purchacing this Rifle let us know.

What the others have said is exactly right. I have nine of them. Three different 257s. The triggers on some were crappy. The triggers can usually be improved by a competent person. The other options are aftermarket replacement or replacement with a Series 2 trigger assembly. If the rifle has not been abused, chances are it will be impressive just as it is.

Good luck.

FYI, I forgot to add I purchased my .243 from Sportmans Warehouse last year for $349, I just couldn't say no.

I shoot one . Great gun, I changed out the trigger . Brass and bullets will cost you at first . Over the life of a rifle not a big deal. You don't need a lot of shells if you hit what your shooting at .Recoil is less than my 06. If you haven't already , buy it.

Well I went to guy buy it when I got home tonight and found that it had already been sold. I guess that's what I get for hesitating. Thanks to all for your opinions and advise. I'm still looking for a 257 Weatherby, not to picky on the make.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.