How are your Vanguard S2 rifles holding up?

Technologist

Hello,

I've had a mild urge for the Weatherby Vanguard S2 for the last six months. One thing that dismayed me from buying last fall was stories of the bolt being ripped out of the receiver. According to these stories, the Vanguard bolt catch is secured to the receiver (or perhaps trigger housing) by a screw that is slightly too weak for extended rough handling.

Where I live, bolt actions rifles are the go-to allround gun for almost every gun owner. The most common form of shooting practice is done by firing multiple shots in short sequence at a moving target at 90 yards. Swift and smooth bolt operation is trained and taught as a major rifle handling skill, but those bolts get yanked and slammed quite a lot. A rifle should be able to withstand that kind of use during its entire lifetime.

Are these stories of broken bolt catches true? Is it easy to replace the screw that is prone it breaking?

Any other input from experienced users would be appreciated!

I have Howa 1500, but that would be the same as the Vanguard. I have about 3000-3500 rounds on mine. Its a 204 ruger heavy barrel. Never had that problem. Trigger is okay, but seems smoother now(probably at least 1000 dry fires as well). While it doesn't get abused like my hunting rifles(carried through rough terrain...), I do get some fast follow up shots on multiple prairie dogs very often.

If you are looking for a solid inexpensive rifle, it is hard to beat. From Sweden I'm surprised you not looking at a Tikka. Savages are nice shooters too(at that price point), but the bolt throw I would not call smooth.

I am on the second barrel. When you get in the right spot on prairie dogs, 300 rounds in an hour is hard in them. BUT fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.