How accurate are Weatherby Vanguard rifles?

I have two vanguards, one series 1 in 7mm08, and one series 2 in 270wsm, both have shot 1/2moa with quality hand loads, and both shot factory ammo at about 1.25moa ave. But with good load dev. and components they are tack drivers. I replaced both stocks, and the trigger in the series 2 is much better although I hate the safety on it.

A Weatherby barrel will be free bored . Just so you understand that although it may be chambered .257 WBY. it might not be the way Roy intended it to be. Best of luck on your quest. Keep us posted

A Weatherby barrel will be free bored . Just so you understand that although it may be chambered .257 WBY. it might not be the way Roy intended it to be. Best of luck on your quest. Keep us posted

only the vanguards chambered in weatherby cartridges will have freebore. the ones chambered in standard cartridges will still be standard freebores

Wow Vanguards, I own 3 of which one is a VGX bought from a pawn shop on gunbroker, 7mm Magnum that looked as it had been "rode hard put in a case wet" paid $280.00, had my pal gunsmith Steve do her over to include Ceracote all metal to include the Dednutz mount and Burris scope. In the beginning it was to be for resale but I had to keep it after I shot it, so now I have a synthetic 7mm and the VGX, and my favorite is 300 Wby magnum. So my recommendation is BUY, BUY OR BUY. I not send the seller to me.

Thought I would share an update on this thread. I went back to Cabela's last night just to kill some time, and they had the rifle back on the floor. Turns out someone put a hold on it and then backed out. I talked the salesman down to $350 again and walked out with the rifle. I looked it over good once I got home and from the condition it appears to be unfired. There's not a mark on it, and the bore is spotless with a mirror finish. I've gotta pick up some components and start shooting it.

Great, let me tell ya about Weatherby, guys buy them in 7mag and above feeling macho take em home fire a few rounds and don't like em so back they go for a "softer kicking" rifle. Same as happened when .44 mag became real popular, I bought, sold and traded many 44's due to the recoil scare.. Glad ya got it, have fun they are GREAT rifles, hard to rebarrel, (can be done) but still great. Good luck, keep me posted... ElDee

My vanguard in 7mm rem. is an accurate rifle. However, I must say the poster above is correct. There is a fair amount of barrel whip and recoil with the rifle. I think a different stock would help and will try that in the future. It is a black syn. stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.