Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Your not near the edge at your elevation till your muzzle velocity is below 2400 fps. If your load loses that much velocity your load sucked to begin with. With all of the advancements in powder technology as well as information it you don't use it it's meaningless.
I lose less than 35fps in the rifles I use from my home range in the summer to winter cold weather coyote hunting. Mostly subzero. I live 1.5 miles from the high tide mark on Cape Cod 32' above sea level my home range(now closed due to politics) is at 24' above sea level. When I hunt at mom's elevation is above 1400' to above 3500'
If a 9tw gives you that kind of confidence go for it but in real world conditions especially a cut rifle barrel a 10 covers the velocities a 300wsm can shoot the 230 or 225eld's 240smk is different as are the big monometals. Neither of which are great for a wsm application.
If your legally restricted to shoot non lead then a 8tw to shoot the big hammers or GS bullets is needed. Not the same equation and unless your restricted you give up alot of bc and add in more correction needed due to tighter twist over the 1k threshold.

I am not talking about the loss of velocity, the lower the temperature the lower the stability factor becomes. A 230 OTM at 2700fps out of a 10 twist at 1200' will have a SG of 1.50 at 40 degrees, at 20 its 1.44 and is only marginally stable. And this is with the OTM, the 230 Target it's even worse. The 225 ELD is longer than the 240 SMK and the big 240 is actually more stable in a 1:10 than the 230 OTM. Not sure on the 225gr ELD length but the 212gr is only stable in a 1:10 at 1200' if it's 70 degrees out. This is why I recommended the 1:9 if you plan to shoot the heavy bullets. No reason to handicap yourself with a slower twist.

I am not talking about the loss of velocity, the lower the temperature the lower the stability factor becomes. A 230 OTM at 2700fps out of a 10 twist at 1200' will have a SG of 1.50 at 40 degrees, at 20 its 1.44 and is only marginally stable. And this is with the OTM, the 230 Target it's even worse. The 225 ELD is longer than the 240 SMK and the big 240 is actually more stable in a 1:10 than the 230 OTM. Not sure on the 225gr ELD length but the 212gr is only stable in a 1:10 at 1200' if it's 70 degrees out. This is why I recommended the 1:9 if you plan to shoot the heavy bullets. No reason to handicap yourself with a slower twist.

+1 on the 9 twist! Stable at 2400' and above is not exactly long range in this part of the country. B.C increases quite often as you get above 1.50 as well. All the new data on long range is moving most of us to more twist. The old idea was "just enough to stabilize and no more" but that is no longer true and ranges are getting longer every year with new technology.........Rich

+1 on the 9 twist! Stable at 2400' and above is not exactly long range in this part of the country. B.C increases quite often as you get above 1.50 as well. All the new data on long range is moving most of us to more twist. The old idea was "just enough to stabilize and no more" but that is no longer true and ranges are getting longer every year with new technology.........Rich

Are you saying you hunt under 2400' of elevation in your parts? I agree with you on the twists, I think you are better with a little more twist and not need it than being too slow and needing it.

Are you saying you hunt under 2400' of elevation in your parts? I agree with you on the twists, I think you are better with a little more twist and not need it than being too slow and needing it.

I was referring to a previous post saying a 10 twist was stable down to 2400 fps. My point was that you would be limited to 600 yards, give or take, at that velocity.....Rich

What is your elevation?

if your lower elevation then I would go 9.5 or even 9 twist, that way if you ever decide to try the really heavy pills like the Berger 230 or the ELD-M 225, you will be able to properly stabilize them. Any long range 30 cal much bigger than a .308, I personally would go 1 in 9 twist, and I live at 7,000 ft.

Just over 6000' here in the valley but I'd say I'll be typically shooting at a range of 6-10k'. I'm looking at a #4 contour and in stock, so not planning on waiting too long for something to be available. And I don't plan on going much over 200 grain in the wsm. I'll keep my eyes our for a faster twist and see what I can find.

Has anyone used the 145gr 270 ELD-X?? I´m about to order a box to try them, but I´m not sure if I should stick to berger. I´ve been using the 130 classic hunter and they work ok, but nothing impressive in terms of accuracy. I´m getting 0.7-0.9 MOA with my most accurate load out of my 270 WSM @ 3060 FPS with light pressure signs.

Your not near the edge at your elevation till your muzzle velocity is below 2400 fps. If your load loses that much velocity your load sucked to begin with. With all of the advancements in powder technology as well as information it you don't use it it's meaningless.
I lose less than 35fps in the rifles I use from my home range in the summer to winter cold weather coyote hunting. Mostly subzero. I live 1.5 miles from the high tide mark on Cape Cod 32' above sea level my home range(now closed due to politics) is at 24' above sea level. When I hunt at mom's elevation is above 1400' to above 3500'
If a 9tw gives you that kind of confidence go for it but in real world conditions especially a cut rifle barrel a 10 covers the velocities a 300wsm can shoot the 230 or 225eld's 240smk is different as are the big monometals. Neither of which are great for a wsm application.
If your legally restricted to shoot non lead then a 8tw to shoot the big hammers or GS bullets is needed. Not the same equation and unless your restricted you give up alot of bc and add in more correction needed due to tighter twist over the 1k threshold.
There's a really good chance that in the next few years we'll see a non lead requirement on all federal lands so the faster twist is certainly not a bad idea and a 9 twist certainly won't overspin a 180-230 grain bullet at any elevation.

I hope the new administration eliminates the EPA. The states can't do as much damage on as large a scale at the feds. Of course the folks in the states that are affected are still affected.

I hope the new administration eliminates the EPA. The states can't do as much damage on as large a scale at the feds. Of course the folks in the states that are affected are still affected.

I think certain things dealing with chemicals and all of that should be controlled by the EPA, but they do not need to tighten their grip anymore than it is now. I am a big time fan and enthusiast of diesel trucks, and the EPA is killing all of these trucks with the emissions equipment. I do not support or condone "rolling coal" and all that, but the junk that comes on these trucks from the factory really chokes the engines up and does not allow them to be what they should. The MPG, reliability, cost of maintenance, all of this is heavily affected by the emissions equipment.

Same with the bullets, lead is a natural product of Earth, me shooting a lead bullet into the dirt isn't killing the environment. I shoot black powder competitively at the N-SSA, and our home range has been there since the late 1950s. Every year thousands of shooters compete and tens of thousands of pure lead bullets are impacting the hill along the backstop and the ground down range. We have never had one problem with anything down there, there even is a stream that runs behind the firing line and it has no signs of lead contamination and it has been tested. Nothing is going to convince me that lead is destroying the environment.

I think certain things dealing with chemicals and all of that should be controlled by the EPA, but they do not need to tighten their grip anymore than it is now. I am a big time fan and enthusiast of diesel trucks, and the EPA is killing all of these trucks with the emissions equipment. I do not support or condone "rolling coal" and all that, but the junk that comes on these trucks from the factory really chokes the engines up and does not allow them to be what they should. The MPG, reliability, cost of maintenance, all of this is heavily affected by the emissions equipment.

Same with the bullets, lead is a natural product of Earth, me shooting a lead bullet into the dirt isn't killing the environment. I shoot black powder competitively at the N-SSA, and our home range has been there since the late 1950s. Every year thousands of shooters compete and tens of thousands of pure lead bullets are impacting the hill along the backstop and the ground down range. We have never had one problem with anything down there, there even is a stream that runs behind the firing line and it has no signs of lead contamination and it has been tested. Nothing is going to convince me that lead is destroying the environment.
Heck I used to eat lead paint chips as a kid and I am FYNE.

Heck I used to eat lead paint chips as a kid and I am FYNE.

Haha, being involved in black powder shooting we mould all of our own bullets. I mould a good bit and my Dad does too and we have not had any health problems from the fumes, even though we run a ventilation fan. My Pap has been moulding bullets for over 30 years and he use to get check ups, fearing the lead fumes would cause some problems, but they never were linked to any issues. My own personal experience with lead makes me laugh at California and the EPA's claims.

Haha, being involved in black powder shooting we mould all of our own bullets. I mould a good bit and my Dad does too and we have not had any health problems from the fumes, even though we run a ventilation fan. My Pap has been moulding bullets for over 30 years and he use to get check ups, fearing the lead fumes would cause some problems, but they never were linked to any issues. My own personal experience with lead makes me laugh at California and the EPA's claims.

My father is 60 years old, and has been casting his own bullets since he was about 15. He has never had a ventilation system of any kind, and every time his blood has been tested, he never has any issues.

I also believe the '"lead phobia" is way overplayed, and is total BS with rifle/handgun hunting. I have experienced the adverse effects of lead exposure through inhalation with frequent, high volume handgun shooting in poorly ventilated indoor handgun ranges. Airborn lead can reach very high concentrations and is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream.

Most of the UNLEADED push is for raptors and waterfowl anyway not humans.

Funny story, we have a bunch of 600 ft tall wind generators on our land. When they were having the meetings to tell us locals how ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY they were, they showed us pictures of birds caught in oil lagoons, said no more of that with this GREEN ENERGY.....ever seen a hawk hit by a 300 ft long windmill blade going 600MPH? Yeah they kinda croak or explode.
There is a graveyard of bird bones below every windcharger on our property.
Ok with me they eat quail and pheasant and have no other form of control. We have seen a huge reduction in hawk numbers in the wind fields.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.