Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

I think certain things dealing with chemicals and all of that should be controlled by the EPA, but they do not need to tighten their grip anymore than it is now. I am a big time fan and enthusiast of diesel trucks, and the EPA is killing all of these trucks with the emissions equipment. I do not support or condone "rolling coal" and all that, but the junk that comes on these trucks from the factory really chokes the engines up and does not allow them to be what they should. The MPG, reliability, cost of maintenance, all of this is heavily affected by the emissions equipment.

Same with the bullets, lead is a natural product of Earth, me shooting a lead bullet into the dirt isn't killing the environment. I shoot black powder competitively at the N-SSA, and our home range has been there since the late 1950s. Every year thousands of shooters compete and tens of thousands of pure lead bullets are impacting the hill along the backstop and the ground down range. We have never had one problem with anything down there, there even is a stream that runs behind the firing line and it has no signs of lead contamination and it has been tested. Nothing is going to convince me that lead is destroying the environment.
Personally I think it still should exist but solely as an advisory agency to the congress and administration similar to the CBO and that congress should then be responsible to The People for the consequences of any regulations they pass by law.

As it is no matter how much damage the Agency does to the country both presidents and congress' are able to deny responsibility by saying that the EPA is responsible due to it's regulatory authority.

As it is we have more regulatory crimes rather than statutory crimes meaning that there are more criminal laws established by regulatory rules made by agencies than are actually passed by congress.

No person or agency that isn't directly responsible to the electorate should have that kind of power over The People.

I also believe the '"lead phobia" is way overplayed, and is total BS with rifle/handgun hunting. I have experienced the adverse effects of lead exposure through inhalation with frequent, high volume handgun shooting in poorly ventilated indoor handgun ranges. Airborn lead can reach very high concentrations and is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream.
There's a whole lot of truth in this. There is no need however for federal regulation of public or private shooting ranges to address the problem.

The government that is closest to the people it governs is most answerable to those people and that would be local and state gov't.

In the "information age" it would be political suicide for local and state governments to ignore such issues of safety and health.

As it is now the local and state governments can always blame shift to DC and vice versa.

Quickload .bul data for .308 ELD-X 178gr?

Could anybody with an applied data update to Quickload 3.6 or 3.8 open up the hornady.bul file and tell me the values QL uses for the above bullet.

Actually I would only need the values for

"Boattail/Hollowbase Small Diameter in mm"
"Boattail/Hollowbase Large Diameter in mm"
"Boattail/Hollowbase Length in mm"

The Large Diameter should obviously be 7.82 mm (caliber specific) so actually I only need the value befor and after that.

I was referring to a previous post saying a 10 twist was stable down to 2400 fps. My point was that you would be limited to 600 yards, give or take, at that velocity.....Rich
If the muzzle velocity is 2400'fps in the example I gave it is stable to the transonic stage not until it hits 2400fps.. Same with any other projectile if they are stable at the muzzle velocity they remain stable til they hit the window.

If the muzzle velocity is 2400'fps in the example I gave it is stable to the transonic stage not until it hits 2400fps.. Same with any other projectile if they are stable at the muzzle velocity they remain stable til they hit the window.

Ok, I misinterpreted what you meant. sorry! I do think with Litz new data though that a 9 or 9.5 is a better way to go if you are ever to hunt at the ranges we hunt at now. He showed a substantial increase in b.c. with some bullets at nearer 2 SG.

Ok, I misinterpreted what you meant. sorry! I do think with Litz new data though that a 9 or 9.5 is a better way to go if you are ever to hunt at the ranges we hunt at now. He showed a substantial increase in b.c. with some bullets at nearer 2 SG.
I'm not disagreeing with that concept. I just feel f your going to a tight twist you should consider going left hand as well because now your introducing spin drift and jump in a more pronounced fashion. Under 1k means little but as you said once you stretch out past that 30 minutes of correction mark where every extra little bit is needed. You are getting charged for a custom twist anyway. Might as well do everything instead just going tighter. Gain twist would something else that needs serious consideration for elr in a smaller than 338 bullet. The fresh bite and accelerating revolutions of the bullet will help keep the bullet out of yaw better. Plus this will help with the pressure curve of very slow powders.

I'm not disagreeing with that concept. I just feel f your going to a tight twist you should consider going left hand as well because now your introducing spin drift and jump in a more pronounced fashion. Under 1k means little but as you said once you stretch out past that 30 minutes of correction mark where every extra little bit is needed. You are getting charged for a custom twist anyway. Might as well do everything instead just going tighter. Gain twist would something else that needs serious consideration for elr in a smaller than 338 bullet. The fresh bite and accelerating revolutions of the bullet will help keep the bullet out of yaw better. Plus this will help with the pressure curve of very slow powders.

If your shooting elr, you calculate for spin drift anyways, it's a known factor, such as bullet drop at a specific range. So it doesn't matter much if you have a left or right hand twist, your ballistic calculator (if you have a half way decent one) gives you your dope anyway. And if you shoot elr, you will almost NEVER have a no wind shoot, so it's not adding any extra work. And if you get a 9 or 9.5 twist, your not paying for a custom twist, all major barrel manufacturers offer 30 cal in those twists. But I do think gain twist barrels have a good purpose

Boy long ,long thread. I am wondering about the .270 winchester,145 grain eld-x and reloder 26 powder data.Has anyone tried this combination yet?

Boy long ,long thread. I am wondering about the .270 winchester,145 grain eld-x and reloder 26 powder data.Has anyone tried this combination yet?

Have not seen any .270 145gr loads on here the whole time. Berger lists their 140s with RL26 on their online load manual. I would start at their minimum and work up.

Have not seen any .270 145gr loads on here the whole time. Berger lists their 140s with RL26 on their online load manual. I would start at their minimum and work up.
He should start about a grain below the minimum since the ELD-X is a heavier bullet than they used to develop their data.

You may consider that Alliant has a manual available for download. They list 150 gr bullet max loads for RL 26.
Maybe start at 4 or 5 grains below and work up in .5 gr increments to find the 145 ELDx max, then back off a grain - 1.5 grains. Lately the powder manuals have been a 'go to' for data on my bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.