Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

For me I've been thinking it over and the section of ribs that was missing and the liver that was all cut to shreds; I just think the angle I took the shot at and hitting the ribs caused the violent expansion and fragmenting of the bullet. Anyways today I just went and bought a second box because I love the way they shoot and I can stuff them in the magazine. I haven't been able to do this with a 230 berger and get the same accuracy not that I don't like the bergers but single feeding verses running mag length on a hunting rifle and getting very good accuracy. I'll take the mag feeding and good accuracy. Now that hunting season is over I'm going to stretch out its legs some more (300 RUM) and see if I can get some good rock hits out to 12 13 or 1500yrds with these bullets. I'm sure I'll burn through the next box of 100 before it gets warm again in the spring.
Shattering bones themselves become shrapnel as well exaggerating the damage done by the bullet alone.

Vertebrae are probably the worst of all of them for adding to the mess.

Interestingly enough, my friend just relayed a story to me about the ELD-X bullet blowing up on an antelope at 400yds. 143 ELD-X from his 6.5cm and it exploded inside, not even hitting a rib. He said the Hornady tech told him "his velocity was probably too high" :-/

I told him to buy another box and send the others back for them to test. There's no way that at 400yds the velocity would be too high, especially on an antelope, started at a mild 2700fps.

Only thing I can think of is that someone at Hornady accidentally loaded ELD-M bullets, or he somehow mixed up his ammo with a batch of older 140 amax.

Pictures, where are the pictures? Until there is something tangible to validate this claim its just talk. The Interlock design has been around for years for good reason - it works.

Pictures, where are the pictures? Until there is something tangible to validate this claim its just talk. The Interlock design has been around for years for good reason - it works.
Interlock bullets can and do break up and can and do separate, even the Hornady techs will admit it and tell you that there's absolutely no comparing the cup and core interlock to the interbond which does not and cannot because of their very excellent bonding process.

Every interbond we recovered from the animals I shot in Africa this year broke up, separated, or both.

Scroll down the page a bit and explain how you get this kind of damage from a bullet that doesn't separate, break up or both.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/6-5-143-eld-x-vs-antelope-part-deux-176711/#post1246247

Interlock bullets can and do break up and can and do separate, even the Hornady techs will admit it and tell you that there's absolutely no comparing the cup and core interlock to the interbond which does not and cannot because of their very excellent bonding process.

Every interbond we recovered from the animals I shot in Africa this year broke up, separated, or both.

But to the degree they mention above hitting no bone??

All my years shooting the 154 and 162 I never saw this. More times than not picture perfect mushrooming with no exits. I have not used them in years so this may be something to do with a new jacket maybe?

Shattering bones themselves become shrapnel as well exaggerating the damage done by the bullet alone.

I've found bone fragments deep in lung tissue many times. And vertebra I've seen some interesting things when those get hit, usually the just grenade and send fragments everywhere. The most memorable one though was when my dad shot an aoudad in the neck, the round hit bone and blew back out...no exit but a fist size hole in the neck where it entered and exploded back out.

Good point...I didn't think about the bone also becoming shrapnel inside the deer as well. I actually wished I would of looked through the gut and lung pile a lot longer to see if I could of recovered part of the bullet. Hell I still know where the pile is and I have a couple of day off still. I could go and see if I could recover it but I think I would need a jar of vicks vapor rub to deal with the smell..:D
When first hunting back years ago I used a 3006 and Remington corelock bullets. Sometime I found the bullets in deer but most times they passed through. When found they usually were mushroomed or something that looked like a mushroomed bullet. As the industry/hunters changed it was all about penetration. During this time I never recovered a bullet out of my 06. I tried a couple different one but back then for a while everything seem to be bonded or inner locked or the tried and true partition.. Also most my shots were 300 yrds and under. Now that I'm shooting farther the fragmenting bullets seem to be the way to go or something that is easy to mushroom. Even with all the new tips, or high tech bullet design, one thing that trumps all bullet performance rather it be a bonded or a fragmenting bullet, is accuracy and being able to put that lead in the animal. So that is why I went and bought some more 220's today. They are just working for me.

All my years shooting the 154 and 162 I never saw this. More times than not picture perfect mushrooming with no exits. I have not used them in years so this may be something to do with a new jacket maybe?

I've shot the 30 cal 165 and 180 BTSP interlocks for 30 years and have personally never seen a separation like is being discussed here. It's not hard to see that the interlock isn't the same on both bullets. One interlock is external and the other is internal. They can't perform the same. Not picking sides on this issue, just saying!

I am personally glad they didn't bond the bullet. Minimum impact velocity would be much higher, completely eliminating the point of this bullet being good for the LR game.

Scot E.

Can someone remind me, does the ELD-X have more of a hollow tip under the ballistic tip compared to the ELD-Match? Seems like I read that somewhere.

Off topic, but I never expected my thread would take off like it did. I am really surprised if I do say so myself gun)

Last edited:
I saw one of these (162gr 7mm) cut in half--the interlock(tm) ring is VERY small. Not what I was expecting compared to the pictures I've seen of their traditional interlock bullets. Compared with a sectioned Nosler LRAB, the jacket seemed thicker, until about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way back, where the LRAB gradually started to get thicker at the base.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.