Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

I have looked over the inside of the jackets and the interlock is VERY small! It is there, but not likely to contribute a whole lot. That said, the A-max has performed very well for me so time will tell on the ELDX?........Rich

When you guys have look at the jackets and interlocks have you noticed a different design in the nose cavity underneath the tip when comparing the ELD-M and ELD-X? I have read about there being a larger cavity under the tip of the ELD-X and am wondering if this is contributing to the explosive performance some people are seeing.

Scot E.

When you guys have look at the jackets and interlocks have you noticed a different design in the nose cavity underneath the tip when comparing the ELD-M and ELD-X? I have read about there being a larger cavity under the tip of the ELD-X and am wondering if this is contributing to the explosive performance some people are seeing.

Scot E.

OK, time to actually show a bullet. This is a 175 ELDX disected which quite clearly shows a rather deep hollow point and the interlock ring. The hollow point with the ballistic tip forcing it open would DEFINITELY initiate rapid expansion! The ring is very thin and probably in the .020"-.030" depth range which would help a little at low velocity expansion but not do much at the higher end. I don't currently have any A-Max bullets to compare the hollow cavity, but I would not be at all surprised if it was smaller, or maybe not there at all?......Rich
175 ELDX Hollow tip.jpg

175 ELDX interlock ring.jpg

One, I wonder if they are going to come out with any 6mm versions of these bullets? Second I would like to see a test done on the extreme end of 1000 to 1200fps on these bullets. I bet they may have some opening at this velocity also. Might not be much but I seen some test that was done on a really hard bullet a few years back and it still open a small amount. I think it was a barns bullet. If I recall the pedals still pilled back a small amount. Maybe this spring I might try my own test with a 308 loaded down into some ballistic gelatin and see what happens.:rolleyes:

OK, time to actually show a bullet. This is a 175 ELDX disected which quite clearly shows a rather deep hollow point and the interlock ring. The hollow point with the ballistic tip forcing it open would DEFINITELY initiate rapid expansion! The ring is very thin and probably in the .020"-.030" depth range which would help a little at low velocity expansion but not do much at the higher end. I don't currently have any A-Max bullets to compare the hollow cavity, but I would not be at all surprised if it was smaller, or maybe not there at all?......Rich
View attachment 66666

View attachment 66667
The interlock ring is certainly there but it isn't very substantial at all.

maxresdefault.jpg
I'd say your estimate is probably pretty close.

I was very disappointed when I found out that they were going with the interlock ring instead of the Interbond's bonding process.

I'm going to be very interested to see what changes have been made in the Interbonds that are currently in production. Hopefully we won't have a long wait.

They are actually running them now so surely it won't be long before they get them boxed and shipped to the stores.

I have never had an Interbond fail to perform and it looks like I may well be going right back to them as soon as they hit the shelves.

I've got some Perigrine Plainsmasters on the way right now and if I can get a load or two worked up with them they are going to get a workout soon. Our deer season opens this coming weekend and we really need to kill a bunch of does.

The interlock ring is certainly there but it isn't very substantial at all.

maxresdefault.jpg
I'd say your estimate is probably pretty close.

I was very disappointed when I found out that they were going with the interlock ring instead of the Interbond's bonding process.

I'm going to be very interested to see what changes have been made in the Interbonds that are currently in production. Hopefully we won't have a long wait.

They are actually running them now so surely it won't be long before they get them boxed and shipped to the stores.

I have never had an Interbond fail to perform and it looks like I may well be going right back to them as soon as they hit the shelves.

I've got some Perigrine Plainsmasters on the way right now and if I can get a load or two worked up with them they are going to get a workout soon. Our deer season opens this coming weekend and we really need to kill a bunch of does.
In my mind what would have been better is if they put a bigger crimp in the interlock portion. Standard Interlocks have a nearly perfect record with my group of buddies and a perfect one with me as far as nice mushrooms and no separation. That way you still get the low expansion velocity numbers at long range, that you wouldn't get with the interbond style, and a better weight retention compared to what we are seeing now.

Oh if we could only run the world huh! What a perfect place it would be! hehe

My guess is they went easy on the interlock because the more you mess with the jacket, the better the chance of losing accuracy.......Rich

The guys at Swift told me that a bonded bullet is tough to make as accurate as others. That may be why why ELD-X is not bonded.

The guys at Swift told me that a bonded bullet is tough to make as accurate as others. That may be why why ELD-X is not bonded.
From what the guys at Hornady told me that wasn't the issue, the issue was cost. This has already been a very expensive project for them.

The existing interbond line was already an extremely accurate bullet and I think we're going to see an improved design hopefully with the same heat shield tip as the ELD-X with very nearly as good BC's as the ELD-X.

I called Hornady and got some info on the 147's. I think they may have some value for those who think the 143 ELDX bullets are TOO explosive at velocity. The bullets have a very small void beneath the tip, unlike the ELDX. They are IDENTICAL in length. Although the jacket is thinner at the base, I suspect they are very close at the jacket mouth. In short, I think they might expand a little more slowly upon impact and I don't think the thinner base will have any adverse affect at long range. I plan on ordering some and compare the two. There is a lot to like with the .697 b.c. too. I have always had good luck with the A-Max 140's and this might be even better with the extra weight and much higher b.c............Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.