Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

I have a feeling, based on this info and a couple other threads on the Hide that were discussing something similar, that the match bullets all have a bit less of a void beneath the tip compared to their X cousins. This actually makes sense in many ways because the Amax bullets didn't blow up like what some are seeing with the X. And when you think about it, those that have messed with enlarging or uniforming the meplat, it doesn't take much to make a huge difference in expansion.

It also makes some sense as this bullet was in general built for the LR hunting game so increased expansion at range would be desirable but one may need to be careful up closer.

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing!

Why would you shoot an antelope at 400 yards with this bullet? Maybe an antelope at 800 yards. What did they expect to happen? this is designed for big game at long range (as much as its said to work at close range)

. There is a lot to like with the .697 b.c. too. I have always had good luck with the A-Max 140's and this might be even better with the extra weight and much higher b.c............Rich

Think that B.C will hold up. Hard to believe 4 grains more weights makes that much of a difference in B.C. I know Hornady's numbers are pretty close to advertised compared to others. If the velocity remains similar to the 143 it will be the next bullet I run in my creedmoor.

Think that B.C will hold up. Hard to believe 4 grains more weights makes that much of a difference in B.C. I know Hornady's numbers are pretty close to advertised compared to others. If the velocity remains similar to the 143 it will be the next bullet I run in my creedmoor.

Time will tell on the b.c.

Alex Martushev posted this on facebook:

Have anyone noticed or experienced? Both 220gr eldx , left has a clear red tip and a sleeker ogive and recently picked up a new box from cabelas and immediately noticed the they have solid red tip and when set them side to side and even the shape is slightly different too , hopefully it won't affect my accuracy cause my 300 rum loves them previous eldxs !

Attachments

• new eldx.jpg
    new eldx.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 68
143g eldx leaving at 3410fps out of a 6.5-300 Weatherby and impacting a whitetail doe at 3200+fps = violent expansion. More testing in 2 weeks.

162 out of a 280 AI this morning, mule deer at 215 yards passed through behind the shoulder. Did the jump kick, ran around for about 30 seconds then fell over. Entrance wound about the size of a quarter, exit about double that size.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.