Hornady announcement Oct 27th

Thanks Bulleye for that link:
http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/resources/ELD-X_ELD-Match_Technical_Details.pdf
It answered my question about other manufacturer's polymer tips.

NOW for the big question:

Hornady knows the original tips are suspect. Will they alter ALL of their product line to use the newer tips????

Will Nosler and others look into this issue and alter theirs as well? Only time will tell. They can bet that we at LRH will be paying attention.

well it looks good on paper, but it seems like everyone is still chasing berger in accuracy and bc, Just my worthless opinion! LOL

well it looks good on paper, but it seems like everyone is still chasing berger in accuracy and bc, Just my worthless opinion! LOL

Some of the best groups I've shot are with A-max bullets. But I shoot them at lower velocities than some of the magnums here so I doubt I had the melting tip issues.

Now that Berger has dropped their BC values they are going to be really close. I personally like tipped bullets for a number of reasons and have always found Amax's much easier to get to shoot well.

I think they have a winner here!

Kindof makes a guy wonder if nosler will switch to this new tip material and the BC's will actually be spot on?! I would switch to the ABLR if the stated BC's were actually accurate.

The 175 ELD in .284 will get my attention. Thanks hornday.

NOW for the big question:

Hornady knows the original tips are suspect. Will they alter ALL of their product line to use the newer tips????

From my read of the White Paper bullets without the new tips are fine out to 400 yards so I doubt they will alter the rest of the line, but simply direct LR shooters to this new bullet.

As for Nosler, hard to say. I would guess they will have to respond in some way, at a minimum by testing their bullets. I wonder if Nosler can afford a Dopler Radar and the team to run it. Berger has it made since their line of bullets is not tipped. I bet Brian wished they had a Doper Radar anyway if they don't already.

I applaud Hornady for spending the time and money on this development and I hope it pays off in sales for them.

Honestly I was hoping for something bigger than a change in plastic tip material. However since I shoot 162 Amax bullets in my 7wsm and the BC has never lined up on any ballistic calculator I'm excited to get my hands on the new bullets. Having a bullet that can compete with Berger at half the price is a big deal and with their claims on improved terminal performance they might have an advantage because is the pin-hole wounding problems burgers have at extended ranges. Hope they hit the shelves soon

They cost almost as much as the bergers. $48 and $54 per 100. They sound good in theory, lets see how they perform. I´ve had great results using the 123gr SST on my 6.5 creedmoor out to 900 yds. Beyond that I just can´t make them hit the targets. The 140gr Hybrids perform flawlessly out to 1200 yds. I never tried them farther because I have no room available. I´ve never tried bergers on game besides the 300gr .338 and the terminal performance was awesome. Pin holes on both sides, but all the internals were like a strawberry smoothie. On my 6.5CM I was planning on using the 123gr SST as my hunting load since where I hunt The farthest shot is about 400yds, and they are specifically designed as a hunting bullet, not like the 140 hybrid that was designed as a target bullet that happens to work well on game.

MSRP and street prices are two different things. The MSRP on Amaxs are only a couple dollars cheaper and they sell for 2/3 of MSRP on Powder Valley.

MSRP and street prices are two different things. The MSRP on Amaxs are only a couple dollars cheaper and they sell for 2/3 of MSRP on Powder Valley.

Midway prices ........ Expected in stock November 11, 2015
just ordered a box of each to check them out ......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 54

POP, gets kudos for this post. All other info, to me, was marketing and excitement generation. Having said that I am very pleased that Hornady has stepped up and made a change. I also based on the PDF if POP's post wouldn't hesitate to give the XLD a good try.

However, it's all moot to me. As, the only two calibers in which I have interest have no XLD offerings, i.e., 277 and 375.

Thus I'll stick with my Sierra 350 SMKs with the DIY brass tip in 375 cal and since my 270 AM is extinct VLDs will do in that caliber.

As for polymer vs brass tips, regardless of melting points, brass can be machined tolerances can be as consistent as polymer molded tolerances.

However, the cost per tip would be a bit higher for brass over polymer. However, w/proper design of bullet and tip I'm confident that bc increase over polymer would be well worth the pennies.

Just say'n.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.