Hornady 7mm 180g .796 bc

I think that a comparable 180-x will be out before hunting season, Deciding if the x is adequate bullet is up to the individual. Being able to deliver over 2000 ft-lbs with minimal wind drift at 5 mph(less than the horizontal kill zone of a elk) should provide humane kills at 1000 yards.

28 nosler pushing 3200 fps. 8000ft.

Received and email back from Hornady and they said the bearing surface .540 on the 180 ELD-M.

Per Hornady

Length 1.540

Bearing surface .540

Polymer tip length is .140. JBM says its stable...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170131-153227.png
    Screenshot_20170131-153227.png
    98 KB · Views: 210
I don't want to start a ****ing match, and I totally agree with all your statements.
I have more red boxes in my reloading room than yellow.
I have noticed that the Bergers give me tighter groups past 600 yards.
The difference is small but I see it consistently, the Hornady will give me something like half Moa more spread at 1000 yards than the Bergers..
With that said, I think the price difference between some of these will steer me towards the Hornadys every time. I just think for the time being, Berger has better control over bearing surface and lot to lot consistency.. That's going to change I'm sure...

One thing I do notice, is the Hornadys are way easier to tune than any Berger... I always have to try a different seating depth every time I work a Berger load... With the Hornadys it's very seldom that they won't shoot at what ever length I try first...

I guess what I'm getting at is... Something has to be said for consistency. If I have a true BC but lower, I can get get tighter groups at extreme range.. When it's money or animals I tend to go with tighter groups..

Have you tried sorting the ELD by weight and/or bearing surface? I have had to sort mine by weight ( 6.5mm 143gr eldx had 1.2 gr ES in a single lot of 500.)
I know it's a headache but if I had the time I'd sort by both weight and bearing surface. At which point it's not worth $7 less a box vs Berger even if I have to do a seating depth trial.

No mater how much higher the BC is vs Berger, consistency will win out in the LONG RUN.

I'm usually about $35ish per box for Hornadys.
50-60$ per box for the Bergers....
I stated that the Bergers are more consistent and give less of a deviation at range.
I am thinking of switching to the 285 ELD M for my 338.
That just leaves the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 130 AR match bullets that I currently shoot, that's the only Berger I'll be shooting. But then again, I have 1000 140 ELDs and 500 147s in my cabinet..:D

The lowest SDs and ES I have ever experienced is with my 30-06 shooting the 208 ELD. (ES of 5fps and SD of 3 over 10 shots.) second is the 162 in my 7mm Rem mag.
Good enough for me.

Powder Valley, Bullets.com, Butch's Reloading..... I shop around for sales and buy 500ct boxes.

Have you guys loaded anything with these yet? I ask b/c Midway was selling "Factory Seconds" that I think are probably this very projectile.

Tag...I bought 1000 of these from Midway but haven't been able to shoot any yet. Very curious to find out how the published BC is holding up vs validated drops.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.