Hornady A-Max BC

djkynoch

Hi, I am fairly new to this forum and I am trying to work up a load for a 7mm Remington mag. I have decided to try out the Hornady A-Max 162 gr. bullets. I was wondering how accurate the Ballistic Coefficient numbers Hornady gives for these bullets are. I was hoping some of you might have tried them at long range and have tested to see how accurate the .625 BC that Hornady gives for them is.

Thanks

I have not tested the 7mm A-Maxs much but I have the 105 gr 6mm, 140 gr 6.5mm and 208 gr 30 cal and they all were very close to actual BC measured from bullet drop over 1000 yards.

Within 1/2 moa of actual bullet impact. This variation was due to variations in my shooting location I am sure so I would say yes, they are pretty accurate from the get go. You will need to tweak your drops no matter what BC you start with but they give you a very quality place to start your drop development from.

Kirby Allen(50)

Yes, sorry for my short reply, that´s what I meant.- The advertised BC has worked for me shooting up to 700 yds with the 7 162 g, and 1000 with the 6,5-

No I am his son

Shawn,

I am Dave Kynoch; but, I am the son of your friend Dave Kynoch. I have heard a lot about you and I even have a 338 Allen Mag. Cartridge and the Exbal printout for it that you sent my Dad last fall. I have been wanting to get into long range hunting so I put together a 7mm Remington mag. I have been shooting some long range f-class matches and I am trying to get my 7mm ready for a match next week. I have found this forum is a good source for information. It would be good to meet you sometime.

Dave

Here is a picture of my rifle in case anyone is interested. It is an early 80's Remington sporter weight BDL that I put a Boyd's Target Varminter stock on with a Danuser Counter Coil hydraulic recoil reducer. I painted the barreled action and then had a friend clear coat it with lots of flattener in the clear coat. The scope is a Sightron SIII 6-24x50.

300ultra011.jpg

DK Jr.,

My email is [email protected] if you ever need anything. I have used the 7mm Amax in my 7 WSM and found the advertised BC to be really good. You are right about this site, if you need anything long range oriented this is the place. Stay in touch and tell your dad I said hi.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.