7mm STW 180g Berger VLD

Dano1

I recently picked up a screaming deal on a Remington 700 Custom 7mm STW. I'm looking to load the 180g Berger VLD as a long range hunting load.

Have you had any experience with this bullet? or even this cartridge Bullet combo? What powders are you using?

I was looking a IMR7828, Hodgdon US869, Retumbo, H1000, or RL-25. Any thoughts? I am concerned about Bridging in the case mouth with stick powders.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Dan

I have on older custom shop rem stw and it has a 1:9.5 twist. You may want to check
yours. I get great accuracy out of the h1000 but it doesn't deliver the speed of some
other powders with the heavy bullets. It's also not temp. sensitive but I think after
15 years of shooting it I am ready to try a different powder. The RL22 and 25 are in
my sights. Bridging the case mouth is a non issue.

Loner,

Thanks for your reply. The gun is still in the shop. I'm waiting on funds from another rifle I sold to get this one out. I will check the twist with a rod when I bring it home. When I found it it looked at the rifling and it is tight, I'm guessing 1-9, but not for sure.

This rifle is built on a 1970 or older vintage Remington 700 BDL. It is a #4 countour bbl. Stock has pillars installed and been fully bedded (5 digit serial Number). It has a over sized recoil lug and a Vias Muzzle brake. It has been fully accurized and doesn't appear to have been shot much at all with the STW Barrel.

I'm getting excited and trying to look for a starting point for loads for this rifle.

Thanks again.

Dan

i burned imr7828 from 150`s down to 100 grain bullets worked quiet well
then i ran H100O for the 180vlds and got an extra 100fps out of us869 in 26bbl
i ran them long and rifle became a single shot .

I shoot an STW , I use the 180 vlds shoots .675 in at 100 yards my load is 73 gr R25 Fed 215m COAL is .3625 likes a lot of Jump the .675 group was 8 shots I have 26 hunting rifles I use bergers in most of them I have found a shorter oal works best for me let your rifle tell you what it likes .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.