7mm SAUM w/ Berger 180g Hybirds

map it

I'm new to the caliber and I usually do not post a ton on this forum so if this is the wrong place I apologize...

If I plan to run the 7mm SAUM in a short action tactical rifle with accurate magazines that have an overall length of 3.055" is this long enough to still have enough H1000 powder to push the 180g with reasonable velocity?

I would do a re-barrel and order a reamer but I wanted to make sure the bullet would not be too long.....

The overall cartridge length of the accurate mag magazines is actually 2.950" ~ if you get them without the binder plate... If you are really wanting mag fed with 180 hybrids, PM elkaholic about his 7 Sherman Shortmag :)

I really want to stay with the 7mm SAUM with no wildcatting so I'll probably stay with a 168g VLD when I re-barrel.
I took the front plate out of one of my AICS Mags adjusted the lips and I'm getting a dimension of like 2.990ish but I just got the accurate mag dimension from their website.

Like I said I'll probably just order a reamer for the 168g VLDs and call it good.....

Yeah, I hear ya there. I never understood why they didn't list the cartridge overall length in the specifications, well a couple months ago i emailed them about it just wondering why.. Needless to say they had the store updated with the cartridge lengths in about 20 minutes. Talk about quick response :D

Hmm now that I think of it... Even with the reduced capacity from seating the 180s to mag feed, RL-26 *might* get you where you want if you can get it... But seriously, message Rich Sherman (elkaholic), he should be able to help you quite nicely as I believe the first point of his 7SS was to be able to mag feed the 180 Hybrids with optimum seating position. Good luck!

What do you consider reasonable velocity? 7 saum is a great round, even if you cant seat long...

I love this caliber, as well. I have it in a Model Seven with a 22" barrel. I bought mine for hunting. I'm using 160 grain Accubonds getting 2900+ fps using Magpro powder. I would love to set one of these up on a long action shooting 180 grain Bergers. Good luck.

Post a pick of your rifle, if you don't mind.

I love this caliber, as well. I have it in a Model Seven with a 22" barrel. I bought mine for hunting. I'm using 160 grain Accubonds getting 2900+ fps using Magpro powder. I would love to set one of these up on a long action shooting 180 grain Bergers. Good luck.

Post a pick of your rifle, if you don't mind.

Here it is basically set-up for a Tactical Competition gun. I have another .308 bolt and a 6.5x47 chambered barrel...
So for now it is setup for a switch caliber set-up but I too think I might build a lightweight long action hunting gun as this one is a little heavy to be humping around...

I'm a lefty so I have to get the illumination on the S&B removed because their are now left handed Germans!!!

Attachments

• Surgeon Rifle.jpg
    Surgeon Rifle.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 240
I can run the 180's to nearly 3100' with a coal of 2.925" to lands in my 7SS. I shoot them at close to 3000' with my accuracy load and cases last a long time. I have brass for sale and reamer and dies are in stock. It has a .331" neck and 40 degree shoulder with very low body taper. You will get better barrel and case life than with the saum with a sizable increase in velocity unless you build the saum on a long action......Rich

Quick update....
Shot the rifle today with H1000 and a medium load.
For a 12 shot string my standard deviation was 6 with an extreme speed of 12.
With those results I engaged targets from 300m to 900m on steel and it was very predictable to get hits.
With the muzzle velocity from my chrono a Magneto Speed input in the Kestrel with Applied Ballistics the solution was spot on.

And hitting steel at 500m with 168g pills going 3050 fps really hits hard.

I plan to leave the load alone for this barrel and I'm really happy with the results of the 7mm SAUM so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.