180g VLD Bergers

remingtonman_25_06

I have a win model 70 in 7 STW. I wanted to try some target bullets and came across these 180g Bergers. There b.c. is around .698. I got on there website and they say there reccomended twist is 1 in 9. I'm not sure If I have a 1 in 9 or 10 but I bought them anyways to try. I have been having a hell of a time trying to get the STW to shoot. So far I have tried 140g BT's and 162g SST's over H-1000 and IMR-7828. I just got the rifle back from a gunsmith who floated the barrel and bedded it as well. I'm turning in 4-6" groups at 200 yards. I have not seen any data for Berger bullets, I was hoping someone on here would lend me a hand on where to start. I have a couple different powders. H-4831, RL-22, and a little Retumbo that isn't mine. I mainly have H-1000 and IMR-7828, I need a starting point for this combo. Thanks for the help.

H1000 might work but with the 180's. But i would go with Retumbo or slower. Retumbo worked best in my 7 wsm with the 180's and the stw is more over bore, your gun should stablize the 180's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

i would stay in the 150-160 weight range for starters.if it won't shoot a 160 accubond,i'd be callin Dan or Ed.you might have a candidate for a cryo treatment.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.