Hornady 7mm 180g .796 bc

LOL for real. If this is indeed correct I'm building another 7mm Rem mag for this pill

Yeah this bullet looks amazing. If the BC holds true, like all ELDs have, then this will be the bullet to shoot! For under $40 a box and the BC of custom bullets, this will be a winner!

Yeah this bullet looks amazing. If the BC holds true, like all ELDs have, then this will be the bullet to shoot! For under $40 a box and the BC of custom bullets, this will be a winner!

The eld line has already been a winner. It would make 0 sense for them to lie about the bc on this bullet when the rest of their line has been correct. Hornady is making a top notch(if not THE best) long range bullets at a price for the average joe like you and me can afford!

The eld line has already been a winner. It would make 0 sense for them to lie about the bc on this bullet when the rest of their line has been correct. Hornady is making a top notch(if not THE best) long range bullets at a price for the average joe like you and me can afford!

Yeah the ELD bullets are definitely holding true with their BCs and I have to agree with you. For the money, their performance, and what they bring to the table, the ELDs are a step forward and are the best LRH bullet in my opinion. They have comparable or higher BCs in every category and expand from point blank to beyond 1000 in long range cartridges. I will be shooting them until the next evolution comes from Hornady! gun)

I don't want to start a ****ing match, and I totally agree with all your statements.
I have more red boxes in my reloading room than yellow.
I have noticed that the Bergers give me tighter groups past 600 yards.
The difference is small but I see it consistently, the Hornady will give me something like half Moa more spread at 1000 yards than the Bergers..
With that said, I think the price difference between some of these will steer me towards the Hornadys every time. I just think for the time being, Berger has better control over bearing surface and lot to lot consistency.. That's going to change I'm sure...

One thing I do notice, is the Hornadys are way easier to tune than any Berger... I always have to try a different seating depth every time I work a Berger load... With the Hornadys it's very seldom that they won't shoot at what ever length I try first...

I guess what I'm getting at is... Something has to be said for consistency. If I have a true BC but lower, I can get get tighter groups at extreme range.. When it's money or animals I tend to go with tighter groups..

Looks to be a long bearing surface...Probably gonna need a 1:7 twist for those.

I'll stick with my 180 & 195 Bergers...

It will work in a 1:8.5 but an 8 will be the way to go. Run the numbers on Hornady's 4DOF calculator and see the Sg numbers for yourself. This will be a good bullet, no doubt.

According to their website a 1:8.5 will still stabilize it with a .75 bc which is still higher than the bergers. Looks to be optimized with a 1:7.5-1:8

Like I said in the other thread, no offense intended towards Hornady products (I use a good bit of their stuff), but until Litz proves their BC's, they seem a bit high...

Like that old phrase about being too good to be true.

Like I said in the other thread, no offense intended towards Hornady products (I use a good bit of their stuff), but until Litz proves their BC's, they seem a bit high...

Drop data and validated BCs over Dopler radar is more proof to me than a series of chronos and microphones at varying ranges. Litz is a genius and one of the top guys in the business no doubt, but I don't think his tests will show a significant difference. You have to remember to take the BCs from all three Velocity (Mach) levels and average them. This is how Berger does their BCs and it seems to work well with these ELDs.

Drop data and validated BCs over Dopler radar is more proof to me than a series of chronos and microphones at varying ranges. Litz is a genius and one of the top guys in the business no doubt, but I don't think his tests will show a significant difference. You have to remember to take the BCs from all three Velocity (Mach) levels and average them. This is how Berger does their BCs and it seems to work well with these ELDs.

This is the technique I use as well...
I have been taliking a little with Micheal Courtney, and he and his team have been testing the ELDs with their own radar and found them to be very accurate.
They also have been testing stability and found some interesting stuff about stability with slower than recommended twist. They only lost 3% BC going from 10 twist to 11.25 with the 208 ELD.. He is sticking to his theory of the plastic tip density...

They're accurate for me and seem to be spot on for everyone else. I don't see why hornady would have a reason to lie about this bullet when the rest are accurate. I take the average bc over the Mach levels and for me it's spot on.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.