Hornady 7mm 180g .796 bc

Running the numbers with velocities capable from the 7 rem mag, the 162 ELD M keeps up with it to 1000 yards. The 180 has a little less drift and more energy. But the 162 is stabile in "standard twist". I think the 180 has to be ran in something a little faster than a 7 Rem mag to really make a huge difference out to 1000 yards... It has been shown that when the SG factor gets at 2 or above the BC increases slightly... So I guess what ever you shoot the 180 in, the 162 could benefit as well.... So personally I believe the 162-168 class bullets seem to be optimum to 1000 yards...
This is from someone with a existing rifle that doesn't want to rebarrel to a faster twist..

Pretty wicked numbers they're showing for sure.... Not sure if the the 162 ELD Match is a typo or what......

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170127-125650.png
    Screenshot_20170127-125650.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 117
140M, 143X and 175X BCs have been spot on. 140M in my gun even runs slightly better than Hornady specs with confirmed drops.

Don't be afraid of the ELD Match. They perform just as well as the ELD-X bullets or better.
M may even be better than the X farther out. We killed 2 deer past 1k with the 140M this year. Better performance than Berger on those two shots.

After seeing how the 180 is turning out so far, my 7mm Rem may be getting a new barrel instead....:rolleyes: I mean that's 338 territory BC wise

I have a 7SAUM throwing the 175 ELD-X at 3150. 5 MOA flatter to 1k and the same wind as my Lapua and 300SMK. Kicks slightly less as well.

Does anyone have a picture of this new Hornady bullet? The bullet in their ad is probably just a stock picture. If that's the actual bullet there's no way it has a better bc than the Sierra 183. The Sierra has a very long nose, 27 ogive, is pointed, and has about the same boattail. You can't get a higher bc without a more aggressively shaped bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.