Hornady 7mm 180g .796 bc

This is an old thread I know but does anyone have an opinion on what might be the smallest 7mm cartridge that could push this bullet to 3000 fps accurately from a, say 25" barrel?

7mm Remington Magnum with Retumbo or Reloder 33 in a 27" + long barrel. Maybe need a 8.5 twist or faster.
Haven't tried it because my 7mag is 1:9.25 twist.
This is my opinion for minimum. 28 Nosler, 7stw, 7RUM will get 3K easy.

So probably not possible in a short action cartridge even in a long action to seat the bullet out a bit, say 7wsm or 7-300wsm or 7ss? I like tbrice23's definition of caliber and cartridge under his post's, it's always bugged me you hear someone refer to the caliber of their gun as a 30-06.

Well, Rich is teasing a 7mm Sherman Max, which he projects to be capable of 180gr at 3100 fps in a 26".

He's looking at 3.1" length, so more like a medium action, but it's getting you pretty close.

So probably not possible in a short action cartridge even in a long action to seat the bullet out a bit, say 7wsm or 7-300wsm or 7ss? I like tbrice23's definition of caliber and cartridge under his post's, it's always bugged me you hear someone refer to the caliber of their gun as a 30-06.
In a 7wsm the bullet will be very far inside the case, effectively reducing case capacity.
You MIGHT get 2950 or so with Reloder 26 in a 26" or 27" barrel. Which isn't really that bad.

The Sherman Max will do it!
7ss would also but that would be max for it and you might not hit a node?

Last edited:
Sherman MAX? Tell us more! Sounds like a new venture.
Call it a Shermanized Saum that will utilize ADG brass with a proper head stamp if there is enough interest. It will be pretty hard to beat unless you take a big barrel burning jump to something like the Nosler. It should push a 195 around 3000' at just under 3.090" to the lands. Minimal case stretch and less bolt thrust at no extra charge!:D
Oh ya, you could shoot factory Saum cartridges in it if you wanted to.

I'm getting ~2,900 fps out of a 26" barrel with a .284 Win long action (Tikka T3x). This is using Reloader 26, without going hot. Not quite 3K fps, but not far off, FWIW.

This is an old thread I know but does anyone have an opinion on what might be the smallest 7mm cartridge that could push this bullet to 3000 fps accurately from a, say 25" barrel?

That's my goal out of my 7 SS with the 180gr ELD-M out of 24" Proof. I imagine i'll be more around 2900-2950 but he hit those numbers with the 180gr Hybrid out of a 26" tube with the 7 SS and RL26. Of course the likelihood is that the 180gr ELD-M has a longer bearing surface than the 180gr Hybrid.

I'm getting ~2,900 fps out of a 26" barrel with a .284 Win long action (Tikka T3x). This is using Reloader 26, without going hot. Not quite 3K fps, but not far off, FWIW.

What powder charge? I just finished up a long throated .284 with a 26" barrel. I plan to shoot 180 ELDs and RL26. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.