Has anyone home-made a cooler for elk? My dad and I have a guided elk hunt planned for 2022 and plan on driving out to Colorado (from PA). The issue being getting the meat back.

We are looking at building a few coolers to throw in the bed of the truck to store the meat. But neither of us have ever hunted elk / killed an elk before so we have no idea how much meat we are going to get - so no idea how big these things need to be to hold potentially 2 bull elk.

Any insight on how to make one / pictures of one's you have made would be greatly appreciated! (Including dimensions)

We have no idea how much one will cost, but with the current cost of lumber, might be able to buy 2 yeti's instead 😂.
We used to make dock boxes for ice used in fishing boats not that hard to do. 2 inch foam board 3 inch screws screwing it together in the dimensions required but one must use polyester resin not fiberglass resin or it will melt the foam boards

Has anyone home-made a cooler for elk? My dad and I have a guided elk hunt planned for 2022 and plan on driving out to Colorado (from PA). The issue being getting the meat back.

We are looking at building a few coolers to throw in the bed of the truck to store the meat. But neither of us have ever hunted elk / killed an elk before so we have no idea how much meat we are going to get - so no idea how big these things need to be to hold potentially 2 bull elk.

Any insight on how to make one / pictures of one's you have made would be greatly appreciated! (Including dimensions)

We have no idea how much one will cost, but with the current cost of lumber, might be able to buy 2 yeti's instead 😂.

Let me try to save you some stress. Last year, me and a buddy of mine went to NM on an elk hunt. We drove there from SWPA, approx 25 hours. We both got a bull. We both took our bulls to a butcher, got them cut and frozen in a couple of days. We both took coolers with us and they were nothing special.
I took 3 - 70 qt coolers and 1 - 120 qt cooler. My 70 qt coolers were these:
I wanted the best cooler I could get so I researched coolers. By the time I decided what to buy, I couldn't get them in time because everything was sold out due to COVID. As a last resort I bought the colemans from Home Depot a couple of weeks before I left. I determined what I needed by searching online how much frozen meat will fit in a cooler. There is a formula of pounds per cubic feet of space and it was pretty close. My bull and cape fit perfectly in the coolers I had. My buddy had similar coolers and his fit perfect too. If you get the meat frozen, you don't need ice, just don't open the coolers. The frozen meat acts like ice.
These are the points that may help you.
You don't have to build anything.
Anything you build probably won't be as good as what you can buy.
70 qt coolers full of meat are heavy, but manageable with 2 guys. They are also small enough to move around.
Having 1 larger cooler for the cape is nice. You can fit some meat in there too.
You don't have to buy $300.00 - $400.00 coolers. By the time you pay for the coolers, you could ship the meat back!
If a cooler says it will keep ice for 5 days, it should keep meat for 3 or 4.
I didn't add any ice to my coolers and when I got home my meat was still frozen, and I did it for about $250.00 in 4 coolers that I am taking again this year.
Good luck on your hunt!!

Let me try to save you some stress. Last year, me and a buddy of mine went to NM on an elk hunt. We drove there from SWPA, approx 25 hours. We both got a bull. We both took our bulls to a butcher, got them cut and frozen in a couple of days. We both took coolers with us and they were nothing special.
I took 3 - 70 qt coolers and 1 - 120 qt cooler. My 70 qt coolers were these:
I wanted the best cooler I could get so I researched coolers. By the time I decided what to buy, I couldn't get them in time because everything was sold out due to COVID. As a last resort I bought the colemans from Home Depot a couple of weeks before I left. I determined what I needed by searching online how much frozen meat will fit in a cooler. There is a formula of pounds per cubic feet of space and it was pretty close. My bull and cape fit perfectly in the coolers I had. My buddy had similar coolers and his fit perfect too. If you get the meat frozen, you don't need ice, just don't open the coolers. The frozen meat acts like ice.
These are the points that may help you.
You don't have to build anything.
Anything you build probably won't be as good as what you can buy.
70 qt coolers full of meat are heavy, but manageable with 2 guys. They are also small enough to move around.
Having 1 larger cooler for the cape is nice. You can fit some meat in there too.
You don't have to buy $300.00 - $400.00 coolers. By the time you pay for the coolers, you could ship the meat back!
If a cooler says it will keep ice for 5 days, it should keep meat for 3 or 4.
I didn't add any ice to my coolers and when I got home my meat was still frozen, and I did it for about $250.00 in 4 coolers that I am taking again this year.
Good luck on your hunt!!
You do realize one 5-8 cubic foot freezer is about 200 bucks, and will hold two de-boned or butchered moose no problem. Fits easily in the back of a pickup and many SUVs. Unless you don't have the room for one, the small chest freezer is the best answer, and it can be used to permanently store the meat when you get home.

You do realize one 5-8 cubic foot freezer is about 200 bucks, and will hold two de-boned or butchered moose no problem. Fits easily in the back of a pickup and many SUVs. Unless you don't have the room for one, the small chest freezer is the best answer, and it can be used to permanently store the meat when you get home.
Yes I do, but I have a 25 cu ft upright freezer and no room for a chest freezer. The coolers are in the shed taking up little to no room in the loft and get used over the summer for other things.
I was just trying to help the OP come up with a better cooler than building one.