Higher end scope cant decide

If you have some extra $$$ laying around , try one of these.

You've talked about budget, and people are great at spending *your* money.
On another forum, a member there is quite pleased and excited with some Arken Optics he has on his rifle.
I copied these review links over for you. From my perspective, they look impressive, but at 36oz, I'll pass.
Edit to add: My point being, you can get excellent optics for less than $1K, understanding that the sky is the limit for some optics.

I love my NF SHV F1 5-20 x56mm. Around $1200. It has taken some abuse in the last couple of years, holds zero, no complaints.
The zero set may take a couple of tries to get right, once you figure it out it's accurate and easy reset if needed. It is a large, heavy optic.

If you want a bombproof scope that doesn't fail and is tested like no others before leaving the factory get a night Force and be done with it. Nxs, atacr, or SHV. And then mount with rock solid rings and rail, everything cleaned prepped and locktited down. You'll be amazed that you never have to re zero. SWFA 6x,10x or 3x9 or 3-15 has less bells and whistles but is nearly as solid and accurate. These are aiming tools for steering bullets to the target and #1 is they must not lose zero , ever.

I think it would help people make a better recommendation if we knew what do you have now? What needs to be better?

What reticle shape do you want?

What magnification range are you looking for?

What is your real budget? To be clear, I'm not asking you to over budget, but if you are like me, you will start at $600 and then be comparing those to $2200 NX8's in 5 min! There seem to be few scopes for $500 with $750 quality or that kind of thing. For example, I am quit happy with my $600-$1000 PST Gen 2's, but allowed myself to go to $1500 which still left the NX8's on the outside, but it did allow me to buy a Tract Toric 4-20x. Which is great at $1300, but not compared to $2000 scopes.

All that said, IMO, the difference between $600 and $4000 in scopes is much smaller than you would believe….again why sticking to a budget number is key.

Last edited:
I think it would help people make a better recommendation if we knew what do you have now? What needs to be better?

What reticle shape do you want?

What magnification range are you looking for?

What is your real budget? To be clear, I'm not asking you to over budget, but if you are like me, you will start at $600 and then be comparing those to $2200 NX8's in 5 min! There seem to be few scopes for $500 with $750 quality or that kind of thing. For example, I am quit happy with my $600-$1000 PST Gen 2's, but allowed myself to go to $1500 which still left the NX8's on the outside, but it did allow me to buy a Tract Toric 4-20x. Which is great at $1300, but not compared to $2000 scopes.

All that said, IMO, the difference between $600 and $4000 in scopes is much smaller than you would believe….again why sticking to a budget number is key.
As far as what I have now I have leupold, burris and riton scopes.ive had all leupold before and I've also had nothing but a bushnell before.and as far a reticle go I want something with at least a windage hold like the leupold windplex or something like the tmr or impact 29 or the something like nightforce moar reticle.i want something with at least 14 magnification on high end but more is better.the problems I have with scopes I have now is either not enough magnification now as clear as I would like and none have external adjustments or any long range type dialing turrets.two of my scopes do have parallax adjustment and I do like that for sure. I do have one scope that has tatical style reticle with a dot in the center and I like the dot in the center but it gets lost to my eyes in low light.
As far as budget gos my original budget was $800 but then has slowly went up due to I can't find what I want for that price so 1200 is realistic budget but if the nxs or one of that quality is something that will last a lifetime then ill come up with the extra money to buy it

As far as what I have now I have leupold, burris and riton scopes.ive had all leupold before and I've also had nothing but a bushnell before.and as far a reticle go I want something with at least a windage hold like the leupold windplex or something like the tmr or impact 29 or the something like nightforce moar reticle.i want something with at least 14 magnification on high end but more is better.the problems I have with scopes I have now is either not enough magnification now as clear as I would like and none have external adjustments or any long range type dialing turrets.two of my scopes do have parallax adjustment and I do like that for sure. I do have one scope that has tatical style reticle with a dot in the center and I like the dot in the center but it gets lost to my eyes in low light.
As far as budget gos my original budget was $800 but then has slowly went up due to I can't find what I want for that price so 1200 is realistic budget but if the nxs or one of that quality is something that will last a lifetime then ill come up with the extra money to buy it
Pm me, I've got the NXS listed in the classifieds. I'd bet we can come to an agreement.

Options I'd Buy:
  • Vortex LHT (in your choice of reticle)
  • Leica Amplus 6 3-18x44i Ballistic BDC
  • Leupold VX-5HD (in your choice of reticle, probably TMR)
I have a Leupold VX-5HD. Really can't complain too much. Dislike the gold ring asthetically, haha. The turrets track right but aren't as clicky and tactile as their Mark tactical scopes, which is fine considering when I'm hunting I don't actually want to produce noise. Eyebox and eye relief are good enough for me to mount mine on a relatively light 300 Weatherby Magnum (which is an ultra-mag rifle) and not get a dose of scope in the eye. Not particularly heavy. Personally I dislike Leupold's finish -- it's a bit "chalky" but any marks I do make always rub off... just seems easier to make marks on my Leupold VX scopes that I have (and I make plenty because I have to huff it through brush and trees to get to where I'm going).

I've looked through the other two. Love the Leica... just don't have a need to replace my existing scopes that work just fine. Vortex... nice warranty.

IMHO the 5.5-22 NXS is the best for the money for a long range scope. The glass is plenty good, sure there are better but for most people it's plenty good enough. They have 100 MOA in them so with proper setup no reason you can't shoot out to a mile +. Great turrets and built like a tank! And probably has the best residual value since You can buy new ones for $1600 and I see used ones still bringing $1400.

Might also want to look into the vortex pst gen 2. Decent glass for your price range. You could also see about picking up a used Razor AMG in the classified. They can be had for around 1600. I upgraded to a AMG last summer. No turning back to cheap glass. Once you own one, your spoiled

I agree with wildcatgoal that Vortex has a nice warranty. I was reading about the new Leica 10 year No Fault warranty. After the 10 years is up, it has a 30 year material and workmanship warranty. That is a real change for Leica. The 3-18x44 is very impressive and won't break the bank. DD62