Higher end scope cant decide

As far as what I have now I have leupold, burris and riton scopes.ive had all leupold before and I've also had nothing but a bushnell before.and as far a reticle go I want something with at least a windage hold like the leupold windplex or something like the tmr or impact 29 or the something like nightforce moar reticle.i want something with at least 14 magnification on high end but more is better.the problems I have with scopes I have now is either not enough magnification now as clear as I would like and none have external adjustments or any long range type dialing turrets.two of my scopes do have parallax adjustment and I do like that for sure. I do have one scope that has tatical style reticle with a dot in the center and I like the dot in the center but it gets lost to my eyes in low light.
As far as budget gos my original budget was $800 but then has slowly went up due to I can't find what I want for that price so 1200 is realistic budget but if the nxs or one of that quality is something that will last a lifetime then ill come up with the extra money to buy it
You can't hit what you can't see. The only scopes I regret buying were the cheaper ones, when unsatisfied I had to buy a second time. Sacrifice something else in your life, get the very best scope you can. Your success, satisfaction, and enjoyment depend upon it.

I think it would help people make a better recommendation if we knew what do you have now? What needs to be better?

What reticle shape do you want?

What magnification range are you looking for?

What is your real budget? To be clear, I'm not asking you to over budget, but if you are like me, you will start at $600 and then be comparing those to $2200 NX8's in 5 min! There seem to be few scopes for $500 with $750 quality or that kind of thing. For example, I am quit happy with my $600-$1000 PST Gen 2's, but allowed myself to go to $1500 which still left the NX8's on the outside, but it did allow me to buy a Tract Toric 4-20x. Which is great at $1300, but not compared to $2000 scopes.

All that said, IMO, the difference between $600 and $4000 in scopes is much smaller than you would believe….again why sticking to a budget number is key.
How do you like that Toric? I'm a big fan of the Gen 2 PST's but that 4-20x Toric is on my short list for my next rifle.

I have a Tract Toric 4-20x50. Glass is good but I would say the turrets are its real strong point. Turret adjustments are accurate and repeatable, clicks are crisp, turrets are locking and easy to zero and the zero stop is rock solid albeit it little challenging to set.

I'm also a big fan of the Sightron SIII scopes, I have 4 or them, glass is excellent, to my eyes better than the Toric. The turrets are not as nice as the Toric but are accurate and repeatable. Their Zero Stop is not as solid but is easy to set and functional. There are generally good deals on them if you are patient and I don't think you can find another Japanese scope in their price range.

Last edited:
As far as what I have now I have leupold, burris and riton scopes.ive had all leupold before and I've also had nothing but a bushnell before.and as far a reticle go I want something with at least a windage hold like the leupold windplex or something like the tmr or impact 29 or the something like nightforce moar reticle.i want something with at least 14 magnification on high end but more is better.the problems I have with scopes I have now is either not enough magnification now as clear as I would like and none have external adjustments or any long range type dialing turrets.two of my scopes do have parallax adjustment and I do like that for sure. I do have one scope that has tatical style reticle with a dot in the center and I like the dot in the center but it gets lost to my eyes in low light.
As far as budget gos my original budget was $800 but then has slowly went up due to I can't find what I want for that price so 1200 is realistic budget but if the nxs or one of that quality is something that will last a lifetime then ill come up with the extra money to buy it
Well? Did you and 500000kv figure out a deal? Sounds like it should work out well for you both! keep us posted!

Can you tell me more about the models from each brand….for example Leupold makes scopes from $200-$3500.

So, it sounds like you want a reticle for holding windage and maybe elevation. Looks like maybe what I call a Christmas tree reticle.

These are available on FFP scopes and SFP scopes. That said, these reticles can be hard to use in a sfp scope as they only are true at exactly one magnification unless you are a fraction wizard….ie not simple. So, I'm guessing you would want an FFP scope??

Lets talk about magnification….what do you need on the low end. In a hunting optic, I want 4x or less..I guess 6x would be a limit.

On the top end, I want 15x or more. 20x would be better.

Well, optically, higher magnification is harder to make well. Larger 6-8x ranges are hard to make and be optically balanced. So, try to limit both to what you really need and you will generally be happier.

Turrets….well, the good thing about turrets is you can try them. Some people want loud clicks….good clicks are fine. Don't need super loud clicks. I prefer a locking turret in a hunting optic, or at least capped windage. A zero stop is nice.

$1200 buys a nice scope. I really haven't used any legit $1200 scopes yet. I have used the Burris XTRII 5-25x. It was a pretty good scope, but I really didn't like it optically. I have used the Vortex PST Gen2 3-15x and 5-25x. Those are both great to my eyes.

I have bought the Tract Toric 4-20x, but really don't have enough time to comment on glass. Turrets are really good. Locking feature is great. I love the No set screw approach! Zero stop looks easy to set.

Really need time to appreciate the glass and reticle in the field.
How do you like that Toric? I'm a big fan of the Gen 2 PST's but that 4-20x Toric is on my short list for my next rifle.
Great so far, but no rounds down range yet. That is important to me.
I'm also a big fan of the Sightron SIII scopes, I have 4 or them, glass is excellent, to my eyes better than the Toric.
Wow! I like my Sightron SIII ED 45x45, but I hope the Toric is as good or better!

I've just not had much luck with most of the midrange scopes I've used. The turrets were hit or miss, mostly miss. When I got serious about longer range accuracy I started changing scopes looking for really good turrets. Except for a MK5 I worked with Leupold was a big disappointment, right down to a VX6HD that had poor turrets. After 3 trips to the factory I just sold it and bought another Nightforce. For me they're the best value out there. Great turrets, plenty good glass on the NXS series and have never failed me. The glass on my atacr is even better. Best scope I've owned was a Schmidt Bender PMII, great turrets and spectacular glass. I have used the NF's and the SB out to a mile and the turrets have been accurate and repeatable. I would advise buy a really good scope at the start and save yourself a lot of headaches.

The nxs is one scope on my list I've actually been able to shoot with out to 1k yards but not hunt with. A good friend of mine has two on his custom rifles and these are what he recommends and also was recommended the same scope by another good friend of mine and retired marine sniper that shoots 1k yard regularly and he loves all of his and from what I've seen actually using this scope on three rifles I do like it alot and I would not hesitate buying one if it wasn't for exposed windage turret I'm just paranoid while hunting I'll bump it or something and knock it off windage zero
I have 2 nxs"s and a atacr, I hunt with the nxs's and am very happy with them. I have never had a problem with windage turret but wouldn't say it can't happen. They are excellent late evenings and I use them to shoot hogs at night under a green kill light up to 285 yds. The lit crosshair on low setting is great. There are many great scopes out there but the nxs fit my budget and need. Buy a demo model from red hawk and save yourself some money.

In all seriousness, the Swaro lines are a definite step above in glass quality. But the Z lines have limited elevation adjustment.
The lower/middle Leupolds are OK at best.
NF are built like a tank. Glass is OK, but the NXS line is tried and true. Out of all your questions, that would be my pick.

For low light? I can tell you from real world side by side comparison with a Leupold VX-5 3-15X56, Leupold VX-6 4-24X52, Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and a Bushnell 6500 Elite 4 1/2-30X50 the VX-5 lasted six minutes longer than them when "looking" at small deer antlers 131 yards away. I was stunned. I purchased all four of them so I had no axe to grind saying one was better than the other. They were laying on sandbags so they were quite still.

But a step up in price brings us to my friend's Swarovski z8i 2.3-18X56. It lasted another fourteen minutes over the VX-5!