Scope Cant

Reloder28

I put some Talley Ltwt's on my Wby Mk V and I can now see the scope is canted .010 toward the muzzle. Is this normal? WIll it hurt anything?

[ QUOTE ]
I put some Talley Ltwt's on my Wby Mk V and I can now see the scope is canted .010 toward the muzzle. Is this normal? Will it hurt anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scope "cant' is when the scope is mounted with some rotation left or right...

... what you are talking about is "taper". It will not hurt anything - in fact long range shooters pay to get it!

Lol tapered isnt always the best in all situation is your shooting less than 500 yards then its good for it. Also if your scope interal adjustments ie moa is more then 85 to 120 then you should get it flat. Explain more of your situation.

Just be carefull that it's not just that the front ring is lower by .010, that would be different than tapered. If they are both flat with one lower you will only be holding on the front of one ring and the back of the other and trying to bend your scope. it's a much different scenerio than a tapered base. If you lapped your rings a little you could see how much contact you are getting. with .010 just laying your scope in there and looking at each side of the ring it might be noticable. I would be leary of tightening the scope down until you know for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts