Need a scope with higher power range

KTP

I'm looking for a scope that gives me some upper end magnification beyond 15X to shoot steel and targets out to 1000 yards. Anyone have any experience with the Vortex PST-5251 Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 ? Ive never owned a Vortex and have been primarily Leupold and Burris.
Thanks for the help

Look at Arken...... a LOT of scope for the money. Haven't had a lot of opportunity to shoot much and no long range but I'm really liking my EP5 5x25x56

Last edited:
I'd look at the Burris XTR III is you like Burris…or if your set on vortex—I'd skip the PST—and go to the LHT. Look at the Maven RS3 in that range too—the 2 maven scopes I have are excellent for the price.

The one PST I had was OK—but compared to the models above—I'd go a different direction.

Ed

Last edited:
I'm looking for a scope that gives me some upper end magnification beyond 15X to shoot steel and targets out to 1000 yards. Anyone have any experience with the Vortex PST-5251 Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 ? Ive never owned a Vortex and have been primarily Leupold and Burris.
Thanks for the help
We are selling a Vortex Razor Gen II that is basically New. It is currently with a friend that wanted to compair the Gen I, Gen II, and Gen III.
He has first option to buy. If he doesn't purchase we will be posting it.
If you want more info please PM us.
We have another Gen II Razor on our .260 Rem that I was shooting 1K with. Great scopes.
Thanks
Len and Jill

Thanks all. Anyone have experience with the Vortex I asked about ?
I have and have been impressed. The magnification ring is a little stiff but otherwise there's nothing but praise. Self admittedly, I've never shot NF or any other >$1K scopes so I can't compare. Most of the 5-25x50 gen2's are well worth the price euroootic has them listed for. YMMV

Thanks for the help
I've used one for a couple years now and for the price point would say it is a very nice scope. The one I have tracks well and the reticle is very usable. However, it is a heavy scope which may not be a con in your situation since you talked about primarily target and steel shooting.

Edit: ADR brought up a good point that i forgot regarding the magnification being stiff. Recommend a throw lever to help because it is really stiff. The parallax adjustment is also pretty stiff on mine, but still doable.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Anyone have experience with the Vortex I asked about ?
I have a Vortex GEN II PST and I regularly shoot .25 MOA with my RPR at 100 yards. Unfortunately, I have not had the occasion to find a range beyond 100 yards. It's a good scope and affordable.

I have been shooting a PST GenII for approximately a year on my 6.5CM. It has been flawless. Taken it beyond 1k in the Texas desert with zero issues. I would say the clarity for the price is unmatched by any other brand. We did a side by side with the Razors and the difference is not worth the extra unless you need something light weight. The Viper is a bit heavier than the Razor but on par with most other comparable optics.

Edit: I can confirm the need for a throw lever. You may not need it for the zero range, but if you need to make changes to magnification more than once, you will want one

Recent Posts