wide power range hunting scope

86alaskan

So, I'm looking for a do it all scope for my 300WM. It's a 22" barrel so it's not a true long range rig, but I'm sure it'll do 6-700yds easy. It's currently got a swarovski 5-25 Z5 on it now, but I find the 5x too strong for woods deer hunting. I'd like the low end to be around 3x and high end to be around 16-18x min. I'll sell the swaro so I figure the new scope needs to be $1200 or less. I'd also like at least an illuminated center dot for low light last light shooting. I'm open to all suggestions. and I'd like to stay in the optical quality range of the swarovski.

That's going to be a pretty hard find given the requirements and price limit. You may look at the Leupold vx-6 3-18. While the glass is very good, I'm not sure it's up to Swaro quality. If possible, you may want to raise your budget considerably and look at a March 2.5-25x52.

I've seen the March scopes on the accurate shooter forum, but dang, that might be a tad rich for me even if I double the budget. But that range would be pretty sweet. I hear they're exceptionally clear as well.

The VX-6 glass is pretty good and are on sale at a VERY good price at Cabelas, $850 for the 3-18x. In that price range I don't think you will find anything comparable with that zoom. VX-6 will smoke a PST and you can get 3 for the price of the March.
It is a good, lighter weight, hunting scope without breaking the bank and 75 MOA of elevation will get you out where you are talking about without a 20 MOA rail.
Leupold® VX-6 Riflescopes : Cabela's

I did the VX6, but in 2-12x. This is for my dedicated big game rifle, and my range goal is 6-700 yards max (it's a 280ai). But here in Western Oregon, I spend a lot of time in the dark and wet rain forest, where I can't even see 100 yards. So I was looking for a good field of view on the low end as well.

It's all about your hunting style. Probably most guys here would like the 3x18 VX6. Good luck!

So, I'm looking for a do it all scope for my 300WM. It's a 22" barrel so it's not a true long range rig, but I'm sure it'll do 6-700yds easy. It's currently got a swarovski 5-25 Z5 on it now, but I find the 5x too strong for woods deer hunting. I'd like the low end to be around 3x and high end to be around 16-18x min. I'll sell the swaro so I figure the new scope needs to be $1200 or less. I'd also like at least an illuminated center dot for low light last light shooting. I'm open to all suggestions. and I'd like to stay in the optical quality range of the swarovski.

Not on the higher end magnification that you're looking for but check out SWFA's 3-15 scope, it's a lot of scope for the money and we'll take you beyond your target with its internal elevation adjustments.

The VX6 was on the top of the list. I think it in the 3-18 with the illuminated boone and crocket reticle with CDS would be perfect. great for fast shots with the reticla, but still be able to dial when time allows. I hunt a lot in thick woods too, that's why I wanted to get lower than the 5x. I've thought about the swaro Z5 3.5-18, but it's not illuminated, and I'd really like that on the next scope. I found myself missing shots this deer season in Missouri because the Z5 reticle is so fine, I lost it in low light in the woods.

The VX6 push button illumination is not my favorite because it comes on in the brightest mode on the 1st push which blinds you, then you have to dim it to the lower setting. I much prefer a dial where you can start at the low setting and work up.

86alaskan,

If you can handle a scope with better glass and four ounces heavier You can get a Bushnell 6500 4 1/12-30X50. I had four z5 5-25X52 and none of them had glass as good as my two 6500s. You can get them for $648.99 new from Amazon. Shipping included.

I compared them on an optics chart at 127 yards with the scopes laying on sandbags. As much as I wanted the Swarovskis to be better, they just weren't.

yep, I've been looking hard at the bushnell elite line, particularly the 6500 and elite tactical lines. their wide power range fits the bill, but their reticle selection is lacking in the 6500. I'd also like the illuminated reticle, but for the price of the 6500 I may be able to deal with it. I've been looking at the 2.5-16 6500. it would be as close to ideal as I can think of. I've also been looking at the Sightron S-Tac line, but there isn't much info on them yet as far as quality and glass.

86Alaskan. the 2.5-17x S-TAC is the S3 glass while the other new S-TACs are inferior glass, you can see this in the price difference. I had the 2.5-17 and was happy with it except for the weight.

86alaskan,

I had three of the 66500 2 1/2-16X and four of the 4 1/2-30X. The glass in the 2 1/2-16X does not seem to be as good as the 4 1/2-30X. Don't get me wrong. They are still very good and have the rain guard coating.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.