High BC Hunting Bullets

DocUSMCRetired

Berger Bullets Releases (3) New Elite Hunter Bullets

Elite-Hunter-Bullet-Chart-Blog.jpg

The Elite Hunter Bullets provide serious reloaders and outdoor enthusiasts with the highest ballistic performance on today's market. These unequaled bullets share the same hybrid profile as our award-winning, Hybrid Target bullets which were used by 2016 U.S. F-Class Nationals competitors who swept in all classifications. This Berger-pioneered design combines the best of tangent and secant ogive features, resulting in unmatched downrange performance with less sensitivity to seating depth.

Elite Hunters are not limited to SAAMI standards. The much longer bullet nose produces ballistic coefficients (BC's) that rival all competitors' match-quality target bullets! The Elite Hunter bullets are ideal for use with factory rifles, extended magazine applications or single-feed custom-built platforms.

Berger Bullets President Eric Stecker states, "Our customers first inspired us to marry our industry-leading hybrid target design with a long-range hunting bullet. Their demands for a game-changing product that is easy to load and shoot, drops an animal in its tracks, and has no ballistic equal were answered when we first introduced our Elite Hunter. Today, we've added three new hybrid Elite Hunter offerings, now the most emulated bullet design in the industry for both hunting and target applications, exemplifying its success."

New Elite Hunter Series offerings are as follows; 6.5mm 140gr, 7mm 175gr, and 30 cal 180gr. Available now through your favorite Berger Bullets retail outlet. Read more about the new Elite Hunter bullets New Berger Elite Hunter Offerings Now Available! | Berger Bullets and new Berger Bullets load data for each new offering New Berger Elite Hunter Offerings Now Available! | Berger Bullets.

Elite-Hunter-Bullets-Blog.png

Wow. That 30 cal 180 looks stellar. That'll muscle up the 308 and 3006 for sure. I noticed it has the exact same BC as the 185 HYBRID. Is that coincidental or a misprint?

Thanks for sharing.

Both are Hybrid Designs, one just happens to be developed after years of experience developing Hybrids. But it is designed for Hunting, and has a BC that rivals other companies Match bullets. So you get the best of both worlds without any sacrifice.

Why only a 140gr 6.5MM? was hoping for something heavier like the matrix 150 and 160VLD

Matrix 150 and 160 are Match, not Hunting. Plus why is it necessary to create a heavier bullet, when this one already has a higher BC than some of its heavier competitors. Why the need?

Matrix 150 and 160 are Match, not Hunting. Plus why is it necessary to create a heavier bullet, when this one already has a higher BC than some of its heavier competitors. Why the need?

Because of the extremely high BC on the 195gr 7mm bullet why cant this be one for the 6.5mm? I shoot the 140gr hybrid right now what advantage does it have over that non.... unless it expands at lower velocity it doesn't change much.

More options are always great. We definitely have the bases covered with heavy 7mm EH options. However, I'd still like to see a heavy EH .308 version that will fully stabilize in a 1:10 with something around a .670 G1.

Because of the extremely high BC on the 195gr 7mm bullet why cant this be one for the 6.5mm? I shoot the 140gr hybrid right now what advantage does it have over that non.... unless it expands at lower velocity it doesn't change much.

Not everything is created equal. The Hunting Bullets have a thinner jacket, which is used to promote expansion. The Match Bullets have a thicker jacket, which is used for better thermal control as a barrel heats up under rapid fire conditions. This keeps the heat away from the lead core, making sure it does not melt and cause core/jacket integrity issues in flight.

The development of the 150 and 160 was around hunting and putting weight behind the 6.5 bullet for game like elk, it's not always about BC Doc! It's best when both weight and BC is why people are asking for a heavy 6.5 for hunting, plus there are a lot of very capable larger capacity 6.5's out now and 140's are like bombs!!

The development of the 150 and 160 was around hunting and putting weight behind the 6.5 bullet for game like elk, it's not always about BC Doc! It's best when both weight and BC is why people are asking for a heavy 6.5 for hunting, plus there are a lot of very capable larger capacity 6.5's out now and 140's are like bombs!!

+1 The Bergers that are now hunting bullets are the very same as the ones which were originally match (speaking of the VLD's) This was confirmed by Berger so there is no dispute. There is always an evolution that takes place as people use what works for them! Case in point: 150 Matrix did a job at 900 yards on a moose this year!

+1 The Bergers that are now hunting bullets are the very same as the ones which were originally match (speaking of the VLD's) This was confirmed by Berger so there is no dispute. There is always an evolution that takes place as people use what works for them! Case in point: 150 Matrix did a job at 900 yards on a moose this year!

With different Jackets, and ever so minor tweaks.

With different Jackets, and ever so minor tweaks.

Wrong! The 140 vld for the 6.5 was the same bullet. The tech at Berger told me that the part# was changed and I actually had 2 boxes of 140's, one with the old # and one with the new that were identical bullets. The NEW TARGET bullets took on a different part # when they went to the thicker jacket.........Rich

Wrong! The 140 vld for the 6.5 was the same bullet. The tech at Berger told me that the part# was changed and I actually had 2 boxes of 140's, one with the old # and one with the new that were identical bullets. The NEW TARGET bullets took on a different part # when they went to the thicker jacket.........Rich

If you want, you can PM me who you spoke with. I can tell you that is incorrect. Hunting bullets have a different jacket from Match bullets. Only 1 bullet fits your description, and that's the 130 AR Hybrid. Hunting bullets have a thinner jacket for better expansion.

If you want, you can PM me who you spoke with. I can tell you that is incorrect. Hunting bullets have a different jacket from Match bullets. Only 1 bullet fits your description, and that's the 130 AR Hybrid. Hunting bullets have a thinner jacket for better expansion.

Doc, listen carefully. The CURRENT hunting bullets are different than the match bullets. A few years back, they changed the jacket because some of the old bullets, which were then considered match, were coming apart. In the beginning, there was ONLY one bullet, and they were "match" with the THINNER jacket. People found out they worked for hunting, and when Berger changed the match bullets, the THIN jacket match bullets BECAME the HUNTING BULLETS with a different # designation! I discovered this because the store was out of HUNTING bullets at the time but they had the "OLD" part # and the box said MATCH". I crossed check that # with Berger to clear up the confusion as to why the numbers were different and I SPECIFICALLY asked him the difference in the apparently (3) different bullets. He somewhat hesitantly informed me to buy the old "MATCH" bullets. He cross referenced the old # with the new HUNTING bullets and said that "they were the identical bullet". I didn't record the Techs name, because I did not know at the time that I would be explaining this to you. If YOU want to call Berger again, MAYBE they will confirm this? Let us know what you come up with........thanks/Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.