High BC Hunting Bullets

Doc, listen carefully. The CURRENT hunting bullets are different than the match bullets. A few years back, they changed the jacket because some of the old bullets, which were then considered match, were coming apart. In the beginning, there was ONLY one bullet, and they were "match" with the THINNER jacket. People found out they worked for hunting, and when Berger changed the match bullets, the THIN jacket match bullets BECAME the HUNTING BULLETS with a different # designation! I discovered this because the store was out of HUNTING bullets at the time but they had the "OLD" part # and the box said MATCH". I crossed check that # with Berger to clear up the confusion as to why the numbers were different and I SPECIFICALLY asked him the difference in the apparently (3) different bullets. He somewhat hesitantly informed me to buy the old "MATCH" bullets. He cross referenced the old # with the new HUNTING bullets and said that "they were the identical bullet". I didn't record the Techs name, because I did not know at the time that I would be explaining this to you. If YOU want to call Berger again, MAYBE they will confirm this? Let us know what you come up with........thanks/Rich

We are talking about current inventory, and current design. Not really sure why you would bring up something no longer relevant and currently not valid. The entire point of this thread is to show the direction the new bullets have gone, and the current technology Berger has to offer. This really has no prevalence here and no current validity with todays designations.

We are talking about current inventory, and current design. Not really sure why you would bring up something no longer relevant and currently not valid. The entire point of this thread is to show the direction the new bullets have gone, and the current technology Berger has to offer. This really has no prevalence here and no current validity with todays designations.

I brought it up because you said the Matrix were match, not hunting! They are match AND hunting. Just like the Bergers evolved into when people found out that they worked. The TWEAKING that occurred was to meet the newer match needs. The Hunting bullet was already there.

Why would I choose the new 175 gr 7mm bullet induced of the 180 gr VLD?

This is true. If you have a killer load for the 180, there is no reason to change especially since the updated BC of the 180 HVLD is .673.

All options are definitely covered for heavy 7mm and .338 hunting bullets. We need some heavy EH in .308.

Not everything is created equal. The Hunting Bullets have a thinner jacket, which is used to promote expansion. The Match Bullets have a thicker jacket, which is used for better thermal control as a barrel heats up under rapid fire conditions. This keeps the heat away from the lead core, making sure it does not melt and cause core/jacket integrity issues in flight.

Doc.........I do understand the point you were making as it pertains to this bullet......Rich

I was shooting Bergers at critters and being excoriated for it a loooong time ago. Then it became OK. Then they had to make different colored boxes so it was MORE OK.
Match smatch.
Hunting smunting.
Tactical smacktical.
OTM blowtm.

As long as they will expand or even jackknife at the velocity and stability you are running them at I don't give 2 boinks at a rolling spherical pastry that cops love to eat.

Yes when Berger switched they were all the same bullet. IDC which is which, as long as they don't pencil, they will do the job.

Worrying about bullet construction is so 1980s. It used to matter when we shot short for caliber stuff that needed bonded due to a lack of lasers. Nowadays we can shoot a high SD frangible bullet and get results way beyond what was common back then. We have kind of gone OLD SCHOOL by not caring how its built, just will it hit, expand and penetrate, not how its "bonded" or "Locked" or some such nonsense.

Matrix 150 and 160 are Match, not Hunting. Plus why is it necessary to create a heavier bullet, when this one already has a higher BC than some of its heavier competitors. Why the need?
To take advantage of the case capacity of the Nosler, 6.5-300, 6.5 Ultra or 6.5 LM. I would prefer more energy and less wind, just me though. Also a 140 is kind of a waste in a case with 95gr capacity. A 160 would also give some additional penetration and damage if needed. As good as a 140 is, a 160 could be better for our purposes if done right.

I was hoping for a 6.5mm in the 150-155 grain range as well. I will be trying the new 140's in my swede anyway, maybe they won't be as sensitive to seating depth as the vld's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.