Hey! winmag & bigngreen

royinidaho

270 Win 150 gr bullets - 55 gr 7828ssc = 2800+ MV
158 gr bullet - 56 gr 7828ssc = 3027 MV

Still got both eyes and all of my noggin':)

Just so's yewl rest @ ease.........

I'll do some more shootin' as soon as I make some more bullets.

This is fun. I think I've come up with a bullet that'll red mist a wolf!:D

Roy, are you shooting some of your own boolits or are they of the shelf? 3000 fps + with that 150 should be a fairly good combo. I keep trying to get my buddy to tinker with his 270 win but he's afraid he'll screw up what he has going.

It good your still in one piece, us young guys gotta keep you guys around :D somebody has to show us how it's done!!!

Red misting a wolf takes some work from what I've seen, did Idaho even make there quota on wolves, Mt made it before I could get to serious about any hunting other than elk and deer for the freezer. The FWP took out the couple packs I was getting patterned any way.

Have you heard any word on the 169.5 Wildcats? I'm trying not to pester Paul about them but it is getting real hard.

These bullets are my own unique creation.

As you know the 270 cal has a limited selection of bullet offerings.

BCs of factory offerings are poor at best.

I'm coming up with a way, maybe/I hope/, that'll make high bc bullets from 140 through 160 class weights simple for the serious shooter if he wants to do a little of the work.

Paul should have some WCs shortly.

My shots into media yesterday were exceptionally disastrous to the media, media containers and my back stop. Hence the red mist comment.

The lid was blown way over to the right.

Overalldamage.jpg

Here's the damage to the lid. It was just sitting on the top. No restraints. The containers are pretty handy but way too brittle. The front one split from the bottom front all the way to the top of the back. 10 gal capacity. Only about 6 gal of media remained after the shot.
TopDamage.jpg

Here's a pic of the bullet. I'm just adding a point to a Nosler 130/140/150 Ballistic tip. Should up the bc significantly.

Two shots into media. First shot, bottom left. Found the point. It's reusable.:) All that was found of the second was the base, lodged in the back stop.
Bulletswithbases.jpg

Always something interesting going on in the back yard.:D

Glad to see your still kickin Roy
Hey, if you get those bullets to ''grenade'' anymore youll be onto something for wolves....NO RIFELING MARKS:D!!! Whats up with your experiment? Looks cool. How is it for stability? looks kinda front heavy. I got a 270wsm if you need another tester, but Im not crammin that thing full of powder to do it.(you got bigger ones than I do) Very cool pics by the way.

I hope you remove the target before the mail man runs he might get nervous:D

Are you building your bullets roy ? It looks like you are building one bullet out of two . Do you have a bullet lathe if so could you post a picture of it I've never seen one before .

Thanks
BigBuck

Very cool looking! Would be interested in how you make them as well. Looks like you chop off the tip and a bit of the body of a BT, drill a hole, then seat the tip in that?

If you have the machines to make the tips, why not make entire bullets?

If you make any .308cal "wolf misters" hit me up :D

Uhh-Oh Roy, Looks like your ''wolf whackers'' are gonna get awful popular awful quick:D. Im curious how the heck you combine the two pieces as well. Your not using superglue again are you..............? Comm-on Roy, were all friends here....:D

Oh No! Roy and Superglue don't mix. Keep the non-lead battery clamps away from him too.

Pretty neat Roy. I'd be real interested in how your building your boolits. Fill us in buddy.

Its a long and torturous road to get to somewhere from nowhere being the first to try an idea. Painful too. Jabbed my thumb with a philips screw driver this afternoon! Problem was the screw driver was in a drill motor and the motor was running. Ouch! I dripped on my project.

Upgraded the media container. Local irrigation company had a piece of heavy plastic pipe. Was just a little long but close enough. Took a while scrounging stuff around the place to put it together.

The face is about 12" about the right size to take down range to even the 1K mark to do long range terminal testing.

The key is the media. This stuff is the cats meow. When mixed correctly water doesn't leak out of penetrations.

The pipe is rated @ 200 psi.

The first shot into it @ 200 yds, 161 gr @ 2599 MV penetrated 21" straight in. Performance was typical for a ballistic tip. Nothing but the jacket.

The jacket: Looks as if it may have tumbled.
161grResult.jpg

The upgraded gizziodous to hold the media and not rupture on impact. Some 300 SMKs and Bergers are headed its way. Those things raise havoc with wet stuff.:D

TheNewMediaHolder.jpg

Side view: Note the red trace. That hurt! Glad it wasn't my trigger thumb.:D
SideViewBlood.jpg

If ya can make tips, ya can make bullets. HA!!! Here's the machine. Yep, good old Harbor Freight. Took hours and hours to learn to then get it turning exactly true sufficient for bullet points. The Swiss Screw Machine fella I talked to about busted a gut laughing at me. He turns out those itty bitty eye glass arm screws by the thousands.

Bought it to prototype this project. Knew nothing about machining and lathe operation before I got this thing and still don't know much. Learn'd I'm really rotten with simple addition and subtraction. Hell, ya even have to divide by two. I'd rather do quadratics.

Lathe.jpg

Oliveralan - the intent is to ensure the tips do what they are supposed to do then you get the tools to repoint your own purchased bullets of your choice. The whole idea is to get a high bc 270 cal bullet w/o having to go the custom bullet route for 160 class bullets. Wildcat bullets can do the 170 and 195 class bullets but they are a bit much for the 270 family of cartridges up to the WSM.

Roy, where did you get the media your using or do you have a name. I built a test rig for shooting into a barrel of water that is repeatable but I would like to have another media choice.

I'm in the process of putting a 270 WSM together to launch the 150 + gr bullet, specifically the 150 Berger and the 169.5 Wildcat so your experimentation with .277 bullets is of great interest.

What twist rate are you using to shoot your bullets?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts