Hey Eaglet

ss7mm

Looks like they're going to be trickling out Froyo/2.2 for the Evo tomorrow to those that want it before the more formal release Tuesday. :)

Dick,

I'm between a rock and a hard place.

I'm a verizon customer with a 5 yr old phone. I also have an unregistered Blackberry.

It looks like my choices will be which device runs external ballistics software the best.

Blackberry has none. Both Android and iPhone have good ballistic software.

I have exbal on an Ipaq but the battery is next to useless.

Your recommendation would be?.......

I use LoadBase on a Dell Axim with a HD battery and it does great in the field but it doesn't make phone calls very well. :) I have "Shooter" on my Android HTC Evo and it is very nice for a phone setup but it doesn't have the "ballistics horsepower" that LoadBase does.

When I go out shooting I will primarily use the Dell with the LoadBase as I like the bells, whistles and power that LoadBase has. I haven't done a lot of testing but it looks like "Shooter" on the Evo hangs right in there for downrange data.

I have been using Blackberries for several years now but started looking at the Android format and ended up breaking two contracts, mine and my wife's, with U.S. Cellular and switched to Sprint. I have the Evo but she stayed with a Blackberry. One other reason was that US Cellular charges extra for everything and with Sprint I save quite a bit of money each month plus they are getting more and more 4G towers on line and that will be icing on the cake.

The Evo is an awesome phone and I'd do the switch again in a heartbeat.

Looks like they're going to be trickling out Froyo/2.2 for the Evo tomorrow to those that want it before the more formal release Tuesday. :)

Thanks for the heads up, I'm glad to know.

Let me know when you get it and how you like it. I'll upgrade it whenever I'm able to download it.

Thanks!

Roy,

I'm exactly in the same boat as ss7mm; have the android EVO from sprint and a PDA with LB3.0 it's always good to have a back up. Eaglet loves LB3.0 but if for any reason my pda lets me down then Shooter on my phone would be used. In my opinion is the best backup ballistic program you can get, specially for the money. LB3.0 just impresses me with the ability to predict drops more accurately than any other ballistic application I know of. When this changes I'll let you know. As ss7mm says, I like the latest and the greatest! :rolleyes:

geargrinder said:

Eaglet, you are the king of gadget junkies.

Last edited:
ss7mm,

This morning I upgraded to Froyo/2.2 on my HTC Evo 4G. I liked the fact that it only took 17 minutes and everything was as I had it. All my installed programs were there and a new application that came with it is pretty nice, it's a flash light on the screen you see a very sharp picture of a flash light and when you tap on the on-off button the camera flash bulb turns on in three different intensities. The brightest one is in my opinion too bright... :D It really is a flash light. Too many things to talk about it + I haven't had it that long! :) I would agree that it's faster!

I thought you'd be upgrading soon, if you hadn't already done it.:) 2.1 was good and 2.2 is, in my opinion, more of a refinement and tweaking as opposed to a full blown overhaul type update.

Don't know if you check out any Evo forums but this one has some good stuff on it if you can get past some of the posts that sound like teenagers. Link --> HTC EVO 4G - Android Forums

With 2.2 you can have Chrome To Phone which is a neat app. You, or anyone that has access to your gmail account, can almost instantly click on a link on your, or their, PC and it shows up on your Evo. You can do the same thing with a highlighted phone number on your PC and it shows up in your dialer on your Evo.

I've read that some people had problems with the update but mine went smooth and nothing is missing. I also notice a slight speed increase in most functions, Wi-Fi is faster and overall it is just a much snappier phone. I'm finally getting the apps I want and, in a pinch, I can even make a phone call. :):D:)

Thanks for the info. I've read some about the 2.2 but not much, I need to get serious about this. :)

I'll be checking them applications out and the site. Some times I get so involved that to make a phone call I've got to wait for my brain to engage! :D

Like they say.....This is not your grandpa's phone.:) I remember rotary dials and party lines. Things have come a long ways in a hurry. By the time you buy something electronic and get it home.....it's outdated. :rolleyes:

Like they say.....This is not your grandpa's phone.:) I remember rotary dials and party lines. Things have come a long ways in a hurry. By the time you buy something electronic and get it home.....it's outdated. :rolleyes:

LOL

That's nothing but the truth!!!

I see you're doing mighty good at keeping up with all of this. I'm still trying
my self. :D

With 2.2 you can have Chrome To Phone which is a neat app. You, or anyone that has access to your gmail account, can almost instantly click on a link on your, or their, PC and it shows up on your Evo. You can do the same thing with a highlighted phone number on your PC and it shows up in your dialer on your Evo.

Really sounds like something I want to have!!! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.