Help with upcoming .277 build

Two excellent LR Rounds, IMHO ,Each perfect for LR Mule Deer /Antelope. Whitetail, and Sheep. Especially with a 9 twist. I wonder if you ever tried the 170 Grn Bergers??

Just throwing this in for sake of conversation, in but I also shoot a .270 Weatherby Mag, factory #2 ,26-inch barrel, with a 10 twist. Shoots 150 grn ABLR very well at 1000 yards. Has taken a small elk and two mule deer and one antelope. If that rifle had a new Bartlein or Krieger barrel with an 8 twist, that would open up lots of new opportunities to shoot heavier bullets with higher BC's.
Got a bartlein 277 8 twist 2b contour 29" S. S. Blank I would sell if interested. Let me know

I have a Kimber Montana chambered in 270Win w/Lilja 1:8 3-groove factory contour duplicate @ 22". It's scoped with a 2.5-10x42 NXS. It weighs 7.25# rifle/scope empty. I shoot 140gn SB2 bullets @ 3075fps from Nosler brass using R26 and CCI BR2 primers.

3 shots @ 500yds from a bipod:

Attachments

• tempImageHmgfg0.png
    tempImageHmgfg0.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I have a Kimber Montana chambered in 270Win w/Lilja 1:8 3-groove factory contour duplicate @ 22". It's scoped with a 2.5-10x42 NXS. It weighs 7.25# rifle/scope empty. I shoot 140gn SB2 bullets @ 3075fps from Nosler brass using R26 and CCI BR2 primers.

3 shots @ 500yds from a bipod:
Nice. That is smoking for a 270win.

I'm working a load up with those bullets and a 150 right now.

Buy yourself, a .270 WSM, in a Tikka T-3, 24" SS, save some Money and enjoy, a very accurate and Deadly,.. Cartridge / Rifle, combo !
A 140 grain, Classic Hunter Berger with 65.7 grains of IMR 7828 trucks along at,.. 3,180 FPS and will "Blow" clear thru, an Elk at 115 yards.
My T-3 Tikka shoots 1.5 inch groups at, the 200 yard Zero ( Sub 3/4 MOA ) and I don't start "Dialing" til' past, 300 yards ( yup,.. a Lazer ).
Shop around and you'll find some, very GOOD, Norma Brass.
A joy to carry at 7 Pounds, 10 Ounces,.. all up.
Put the "Change" into,.. a Great Tag or, the grandkids, College Fund
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This Right Here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The original 270 Winchester with a faster twist is a real sleeper. @Muddyboots can testify.

Of note, Peterson makes .270 win brass. So there's that.

270 wsm is great, especially if you're still planning a long action build and a fast twist barrel. In a long action the 6.8 western only succeeds at being less powerful and less established than the wsm. That's it.

The 27 Nosler is a fire breather. But your not after a super overbore speed demon and that's what this is. Moreover I don't know how popular it will ever be and who will make brass for it. Nosler brand brass is overpriced overrated very mediocre quality. Not junk. Just not any better than Winchester, Remington, etc…while asking a lot more for the name brand. That's all you're paying for.

If it were me, however, acknowledging that I already have a standard .270 win…there's be no hesitation! .270 weatherby magnum with a fast twist all the way!!! Apples to apples you have more capacity and horsepower than the wsm, western, or any of those, while not actually being in the truly overbore/impractical territory. Plus it's just so dang classy and historically significant! Roy Weatherby's FIRST designed cartridge!!!! I want one some day for that reason alone even.

Hodgdon shows limited data hitting 3500 fps with a 130. Some newer powders could probably beat that. Leave the standard freebore as it is!!! It's part of the "secret formula" 🤣

Brass can be easily formed from a number of commonly obtainable parent cases by nearly any manufacturer of brass, and Peterson (God bless them!) makes 270 wby brass as well.

The .270 wcf and .270 weatherby mag give up nothing to any of the newfangled .277s and both just ooze class haha.

I've always wanted to add a .277 build to the line up. I know they aren't as popular as a 6.5, 7, and 30's but I have pretty much everything already covered. This is more because I want one!

Anyways I'm not one for huge speed demon so I'm thinking maybe the 270/6.5 prc for the purpose of Lapua brass or holding off until more brass options come out in the 7 prc and necking it down. Hoping to run the 170's, and build a real lightweight multipurpose hunting rifle from whitetail to moose. Just because I know it's coming, I already have a 300 Norma, 7 mag so the moose part is generally covered

Specs can change but thoughts are;

- falkor lw7 long action
- carbon barrel (hoping ibi drops there's soon)
- manners lrh
- Hawkins bottom metal
- tt diamond
A 270/6.5 prc is basically a slightly smaller 6.8 western, which is a slightly smaller 270 wsm, ballisticly. Only thing that sucks about the 270 wsm is finding brass at the moment. You could probably get the same preformance from 270/6.5 prc, from a fast twist 270 win.
Look at the .277 150 gr SBD2, needs a 8 twist. .710 g1 bc. That bullet in a 27 Nosler at 3200+ fps.
But the ez button for the size you want is a 6.8 western. I can't believe I said that. I love my 270 wsm. 6.8 western was a let down.
I just did this yesterday. 270 wsm with a 129 gr LRX, .68" 5 shot group, 21 es, 8 sd, at 3178 fps. Not great but good enough for this year. It shot good to 500 on steel as well. Only 50 rds of load development. Switched from a 130 gr vld-h. Wanted less damage then I was getting with Bergers and BT's.
The 6.8 western over takes the factory 270 wsm at about 650 yards due to higher bc bullets. But for hand loaders with custom barrels, the 270 wsm is the way to go. Especially for hunters who shoot under 500 yards. 270 wsm with a 130 gr, is pretty flat shooting.

Attachments

• 20230928_155544.jpg
    20230928_155544.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
Nice. That is smoking for a 270win.

I'm working a load up with those bullets and a 150 right now.
I've run the 140 SBD2 up to 3150 in FF'd and annealed RP brass. The Nosler brass is virgin and must have a bit more capacity because it's the same powder charge I used in the RP. I'll check capacity when I get through the 1st 50 and see what they'll handle for powder/velocity. They shoot great as-is, but, that rifle is really not finicky @ all. It shoots 150ABLRs @ 3030fps into similar sized groups.

I have found the best pill for bear and moose for me is 270 wim 130gr mono (GMX) bullet out of my Tikka T3x. 500yrds full pass thru. 3110 FPS off imr powders