Help with upcoming .277 build

I have an improved 6.5PRC/7mm called the 7S/FC that uses the Lapua brass and will run a 180 past 3000'. All you would have to do is bush the die down to .277 and it would run a 170 Berger well past 3000.
You have dies for that?

I have a Kimber Montana chambered in 270Win w/Lilja 1:8 3-groove factory contour duplicate @ 22". It's scoped with a 2.5-10x42 NXS. It weighs 7.25# rifle/scope empty. I shoot 140gn SB2 bullets @ 3075fps from Nosler brass using R26 and CCI BR2 primers.

3 shots @ 500yds from a bipod:

Now that's one heck of a rig Horse1! A lot like my ULA/270 with the 24" number 2 on it. Friggin lean mean killing machine. Shoot me a PM if you like we used to talk bruins a fair bit, fact is I might of even given you a skosh bit of help regarding bears in Mt one upon a time. Be fun to catch up!

(that's the scope I want for mine ULA, presently have a 2-8 with M1 on it)

Buy yourself, a .270 WSM, in a Tikka T-3, 24" SS, save some Money and enjoy, a very accurate and Deadly,.. Cartridge / Rifle, combo !
A 140 grain, Classic Hunter Berger with 65.7 grains of IMR 7828 trucks along at,.. 3,180 FPS and will "Blow" clear thru, an Elk at 115 yards.
My T-3 Tikka shoots 1.5 inch groups at, the 200 yard Zero ( Sub 3/4 MOA ) and I don't start "Dialing" til' past, 300 yards ( yup,.. a Lazer ).
Shop around and you'll find some, very GOOD, Norma Brass.
A joy to carry at 7 Pounds, 10 Ounces,.. all up.
Put the "Change" into,.. a Great Tag or, the grandkids, College Fund

Good day Lefty, I'm guessing you left out a number when you said 115 yds and really meant 1115 correct? Just checking:)

Go Cats

NOPE,.. Full Penetration, thru both upper Shoulders and both Hides with, the bottom of Cup ( boattail area ),. Tangled in Hair, on opposite side.
115 yds, shot kneeling, over Sagebrush, using Stix. Upper Lung area, in Diaphragm,.. "Scrambled".
The .270 WSM with THIS 140 gr. Bullet, is probably only "Good" to about, 800 Yds and My personal Max Elk, "Distance" would be,.. 650 to 700 Yds.
The Herd, walked up the Hill towards us as we waited, then they angled to, the right presenting, a nice broadside shot.
My son just built, a Proof Barreled, Tikka in 7 PRC, to shoot those Long,.. 1,000 - 1,200 yard, shots. ( NOT my, "Cup of Tea", tho ).
I see most of my Elk at, LESS than, 350 - 400 yds,.. So, I HAVE,.. "Enough Gun"

Last edited:
I use that bullet a lot in my ULA/270, great bullet! I shot a mongo cow 2 years ago with it @ 497 in a strong wind. She took it as she had a slight quarter away. Bullet went in behind the right front, and exited the left front.

She took 3 steps and tipped over.

Shot a good sized cow this last fall a skosh over 300 yds, bullet went in behind the left and exited low on the shoulder on the right side. She took a quick 15 yard run and augered in. (63 Sierra SMP out of my 22/250)

IMO the .270Win still has performance sitting there to be taken. Fast twist (eg 1:8) on 700LA or similar magazine COAL can get impressive performance with added freebore for longer higher BC bullets. The long neck of the .270 is a great benefit instead of hindrance for longer higher BC bullets. I have another action 700LA being trued up for another fast twist but with new reamer. Drawing being made for Serengeti Bore Rider reamer that hopefully will help unleash more performance. The fast twist I built couple years ago topped out close to 3300 with 156HH and hope this reamer will add to the top end. I bet JOC is smiling.

IMO the .270Win still has performance sitting there to be taken. Fast twist (eg 1:8) on 700LA or similar magazine COAL can get impressive performance with added freebore for longer higher BC bullets. The long neck of the .270 is a great benefit instead of hindrance for longer higher BC bullets. I have another action 700LA being trued up for another fast twist but with new reamer. Drawing being made for Serengeti Bore Rider reamer that hopefully will help unleash more performance. The fast twist I built couple years ago topped out close to 3300 with 156HH and hope this reamer will add to the top end. I bet JOC is smiling.
What powder H4350? RL16?

Tell us more about the reamer please